Optical lens -- 1.5x or 1.3x -- who is using what?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Leo

Optical lens -- 1.5x or 1.3x -- who is using what?

Post by Leo »

Folks, I have a 1907 without extension and wondered who is using a front optical lens, and for those that are, did you go with the 1.5 or 1.3? I understand I'll need to adjust the opening on my front post -- but do I also need magnification in the rear sight? Looking for opionions and actual use... thanks for the help. :)
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

I use 1.5X on both my smallbore and fullbore rifles.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Leo,

This may not be the best place to ask, as ISSF rules (Rifle 7.4.2.3.2) do not allow lenses attached to the rifle. Theis an exception (Gen Rules 4.4) for Senior shooters (age 45 plus) for a lens not to exceed 1.5 in eithe r the front or rear sight (not both).

Hope this helps.

Joe, Do you use the lens in front or rear sight?
Leo

Post by Leo »

Thanks Pat, Jose -- I'll post into the "want ads" and see what is available - interesting on the "two lense" rule - am I correct on the following? A front post eagle eye will magnify the bull allowing a larger aperature and thus increasing the accuracy of the "white space halo" -- but, a rear lense in the aperature (common?) or shooting glasses will provide clarity/magnification of the front aperature.... now I'm really confused.

Seems like two different roads, same result - since you cant have two attached lenses - would the most effecient method be eagle eye + shooting glasses? Thanks for the help, regards.
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

Pat McCoy wrote:Joe, Do you use the lens in front or rear sight?
Front. I've had disappointing results with Gehmann apertures with adjustable magnifiers. Their clarity is nowhere near as good as a good lens in the front sight and they pretty much fall apart under the recoil of centerfire rifles.

My SB rifle still has an old school 18 mm foresight but my fullbore rifle has a 30 mm Rightsight from Stallings Machine and that is a superb piece of equipment.