Airpistol Noise

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Dick Grosh

Airpistol Noise

Post by Dick Grosh »

Looking for help on noise issues.
I am considering purchasing a new or used compressed air match pistol such as a Benelli Kite, Aeron, Steyr LP2 or LP50 and several others. I have a ten year old, four legged buddy that is very sensitive to noise. Does anyone have advice on the noise level for these or similar air pistols. I will probably shoot if the basement.
Dick22JAL
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Check out the Steyr LP10. I had one for a while. I loved it and was amazed at how quiet it was compared to my air rifle. I sold it because I just was not into pistol shooting to have so much tied up in an air pistol.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

The easiest solution is to just keep him out of the basement when you shoot.
If the door to the basement is closed, the noise of the shot should not bother him.
Dick Grosh

Airpistol Noise

Post by Dick Grosh »

Strange that there is little quantative information on noise in compressed air guns when "Straight Shooters Precision Airguns" reports that there customers are very interested in this topic. I could only find a Straight Shooters test on 19 spring rifles; but, none on air pistols. The test could be easily done by the manufacturer and included in the specs. Maybe they don't want comparisons.
NuJudge

My wife's dogs have this problem too

Post by NuJudge »

My wife has a pair of Collies. Even though upstairs, they get really upset when I discharge downstairs my very low velocity Walther air rifles, or even air pistols.

Since these are all low velocity, I'm thinking that the problem is not the discharge of the airgun, but the impact of the pellet on the metal trap. I am considering buying or making a clay trap.

For those living in States that allow them, there are air rifles with integral suppressors available.
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

I shoot in my garage with both dogs in the next room, both shepherd mixes. They could care less.

Most dogs get desensitized to noises by repeated exposure, particularly if a human in the room ignores the noise and the dog.
orionshooter

Post by orionshooter »

My experience is the same as NUJUDGE's. It's the impact and not the discharge that freaks out both my labs. However, they're both fine at the trap range though - go figure.
Airpistol Noise

Post by Airpistol Noise »

Nujudge,
Good thought. I am going to line my bullet trap with "Duct Seal"
Dick
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

Dick

There is a US company [and i cannot find them at the moment] that makes a silent bullet trap for air gun shooting. It holds all the standard targets.
I believe they are in the North East, may be New York area.
Google, silent pellet trap.
JSB
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

Thanks Nujudge
It was the 'Archer' trap i was trying to find.

Dick, get this trap, it won't disapoint and your dog can take his ear defenders off.

JSB
Dick Grosh

Airpistol Noise

Post by Dick Grosh »

Many thanks for the advice. I'm on my way to make a silent trap and close the basement door. I wonder if there is a market for dog ear defenders. Happy New Year
Rover

Post by Rover »

I guess you guys just like to spend money.

This topic has been covered many times here; just do a search.

A box of rags costs nothing and works BETTER and quieter than the spendy duct seal traps. And, like me, improves with age.
steyrlp10

Post by steyrlp10 »

You have a series of good advice from the other posters. I have two dogs and two guinea pigs who qualify as my audience when I'm practicing a full match in my laundry room. I have the SteyrLP10. I've also owned a FWB and LP1. I have to say that most air pistols sound loud indoors to me just because...

My 16 y/o Lab is the daughter of our K9 and is deaf. The 10 y/o pound puppy is smart enough to start heading off with dad when he sees me pulling out the Steyr from my case.

Good luck to you, but with time, I think your four-legged kids will adjust like they do with everything else.

Post by Guest »

I had a German Shepherd that hated pistols, even the sight of them. Then we had a mouse plague in the district and I started potting mice with an air pistol.
The Shepherd quickly associated the pistols with 'hunting' and changed to leaps of joy at the sight of a pistol.
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

I have two labs, and they both lay at my feet when I shoot air rifle. I generally shoot my match rifle into a box of rags because I don't like the clang of the steel trap. They don't mind the steel trap clang when I shoot the Air Arms 22 air rifle. (The AA shoots through the rag box in short time.)
My Anschutz 9003 had a report that I tamed with a bit of silicone, and a faucet washer on the end of the barrel sleeve. Pretty amazing that only one rubber washer with a 30 caliber hole could reduce the report by more than 50%. I wanted to reduce the noise for personal hearing protection, and it really worked out well.
tenex

Post by tenex »

Hi Dick,
My Pardini K2 is usually the loudest air pistol on the line (526 fps). I shoot in my basement and I am uncomfortable without some ear protection. That said, the rest of the family watches TV upstairs and If I don't tel them I'm shooting AP, they don't notice it.

If I was a dog I probably wouldn't like being in the same room, but any other room would probablyt be fine.

Just my experience.
Cheers,
Steve.
tk1st

Post by tk1st »

I have two muts a lab/sheperd mix and a terrier/heinz 57 mix both are fearless when it comes to fireworks, thunder, gunshots etc. but my a/a
mpr400 and avanti 853 in the basement would send the running.
two things I found to help were I switched from a metal trap to a box
stuffed with phone books, magazines etc.. And I also give them a treat
as soon as I am done with a string of fire. now they patiently await for me
to come up stairs for their snack. they now associate the the sound with
treat.
hope this helps
Tom
p.s. my hill hand pump drives them nuts they want to attack it every time
it makes a slight squeeling noise during a stroke.
LeLongCarabine

Post by LeLongCarabine »

i trained my parrot to get used to the sound of my pistol by covering the end with foam sponge and just shooting through you cant hit anything but it worked he soon got used to the full sound maybe you could try this method on your dogs