what do you see clearly with rifle shooting

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

yana

what do you see clearly with rifle shooting

Post by yana »

When shooting rifles with peeps, can you see both the front sight ánd he target clearly? Or is this impossible? (as it is with pistol).
Barney

Post by Barney »

Its the same as pistol, just that the front sight is 3x further away, unless you use a bloop tube then its obviously further away again.

Ideally, you want the front sight insert/element as sharp and crisp as posiable, then just centre the target/blob depending on how good your eyes are.
RobStubbs

Re: what do you see clearly with rifle shooting

Post by RobStubbs »

yana wrote:When shooting rifles with peeps, can you see both the front sight ánd he target clearly? Or is this impossible? (as it is with pistol).
As with pistol focus on the foresight. I personally find the target just slightly blurry rather than a complete blob. But it varies with light conditions, including indoors or out.

Rob.
yana

Post by yana »

So its NOT possible to see both the target AND the frontsight insert clearly?
yana

Post by yana »

Some I know say that its possible to see both clearly, because you see the target ínside the front sight. I said it isnt possible cause the target is much further away.
So am I correct?
bruce

Post by bruce »

They're not seeing both at the same time. Despite what they think they are seeing, the eye is actually switching between the two focal points very quickly.
In my experience, this usually happens with young shooters, and the ability to see both target and foresight sharply, disappears as the shooter ages.
jhawk

Post by jhawk »

[quote="bruce"]They're not seeing both at the same time. Despite what they think they are seeing, the eye is actually switching between the two focal points very quickly.
In my experience, this usually happens with young shooters, and the ability to see both target and foresight sharply, disappears as the shooter ages.[/quote]

Isn't that the truth!
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

I've got to the age that, even with (or perhaps because of) various corrective contact lenses or shooting glasses over the years, I can't see either target or sights as well as I'd like!

However, it'snot the same as pistol shooting for two reasons:

1) The front sight is further away, so more nearly at 'infinity' as far as the eye's focussing is concerned.

2) You can close the rear sight aperture so much that you can achieve a much greater depth of focus than is possible with the unaided eye. This is not to say that you should actually use the aperture this way.

You can therefore (perhaps) fool yourself into thinking that you can get a reasonably clear view of front sight and target simultaneously.

Attention should, however be focussed on the front sight, not the target, and you may need to give yourself a stern reminder that switching between the two is a recipe for disaster.