Steyr 88/91 questions

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Bugslugger

Steyr 88/91 questions

Post by Bugslugger »

I purchased a Steyr 88 which, apparently, is the same thing as a 91 except for the cylinders. It's a beautiful rifle. It chronys at 366fps to about 400fps which seems a little slow. Is it possible to raise the pellet velocity?

Also I'm in need of an owners/maintenance manual. Does anybody have one they'd photocopy for me?

Thanks!

Rich Sheya
PL

Post by PL »

That does seem rather slow. I've got a 91, never chrono'd, but it sounds sharp and would guess in the 600's. I don't think the speed can be changed, but I don't have the manual handy either. Your best bet is to talk to our resident Steyr expert, Scoot Pilkington, Target Talk host and gunsmith. Click on pilkguns.com in the header above.
Bugslugger

Post by Bugslugger »

I found the problem although in an unhappy way. There's an adjustment screw on the end of the hammer that had worked its way loose. It was to the point that the hammer was barely impacting the valve that releases gas into the breech. Apparently it worked its way all the way loose and went "sproing" breaking a little tab off the hammer. So now I need a new hammer (part #45 on the exploded diagram) but know how to adjust the velocity.

Never a dull moment...

Rich