pellets for air rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

D A Higgins

pellets for air rifle

Post by D A Higgins »

i'm new to air rifle shooting, and i have a FWB 700 alu. and i was wondering what kind of pellets i should be shooting. any input is greatly appreciated.
talladega

Post by talladega »

I like RWS R10. Many people use it just for matches but it's only $3 more per tin so I use it for everything.
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

If you are a member of a club and are able to scrounge handfuls of different pellets off other members, benchrest the gun and see what groups best.
The RWS R10s are good, but that doesn't mean they'll be the best pellets for your individual gun. R10s would doubtless shoot well, but it's worth testing a few makes so you know your rifle/pellet combination is optimal.
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

I use RWS R10 from 500 round tins in my Anschutz 9003. I also used them in my 8002, and RWS M100, where they worked well. They are not perfect, and I do find a second occasionally. I shoot from a pellet box/sifter and you can see the damaged ones. I can also feel some deviation in diameter when I load them. I shoot in a local league for pleasure, so they are good enough for my needs. If I needed better ammo, I would hand sort and weigh pellets for a big match. I did have Neil Johnson test different pellets, and R10 and H+N 4.50 shot the best. Like Hemmers said, you really need to test the pellets, and buy an actual lot number and sort if you need uber repeatability.
Rover

Post by Rover »

We pistol shooters have been playing with this stuff for a while, too. The accuracy demands are not as stringent for pistol, but we're interested also.

viewtopic.php?t=23073

Now do your own testing.
jhmorrisn

pellets

Post by jhmorrisn »

I purchased a "Beeman" pellet sizer several years ago. It came with 4 different sizer's. I went about sizing 15 -20 pellets with each sizer.
With my FWB 300s, I ran 10 shots of each group through my chronograph.
From which I figured the 'standard deviation' of each group. An assumption on my part said the the lowest standard deviation was the most accurate.
Next I did it with several different brands based on price. Some cheap ones and some not so cheap.
Which one was the best you might want ask?
With my 300s, the smallest size. With my German made '35' &'55', the next to the largest size. With my 853, any size as long as they were the same size.

As for as comparing the different brands, once they were sized, they just about had the same deviations.

At that time I was happy to score a 360/400. With the sized pellets I once in a while shot a 370 which was my high score.

I more thing, working with a chronograph and figuring standard deviations does not make you some type of a deviate.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Yes, it does!
dpg4

Post by dpg4 »

Make sure to use only HIGH quality pellets. You can not get the pellets you need at walmart. R-10's, H&N's are good choices. You have a great gun use great ammo.
B&S

Post by B&S »

I did a lot of testing with a 700 FWB and the only pellets that would go in one hole were the Vogol 4.49. Those are just my results with this gun. May be different with yours
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

I have tried a bunch of different pellets in my FWB 700 and the RWS R10 seemed to work best for me! havent tried Vogol though
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

You will probably find that the diameter makes more of a difference than the brand of pellet. In most cases we found any given rifle preferred a certain size, no matter what the brand (eg 4.49 of every brand were better than every other size on any brand). If you have a club nearby, they may have an assortment that they can sell you thirty or so of each size and each brand). Thirty is the minimum number for any statistical significance. There are H&N, RWS, and Vogel, each with four sizes Or more for Vogel I think).
Tom Amlie

Re: pellets

Post by Tom Amlie »

jhmorrisn wrote: I more thing, working with a chronograph and figuring standard deviations does not make you some type of a deviate.
Ahhh, but I'll bet you've got your moments. (old statistics joke)
jhmorrisn

Standard deviates

Post by jhmorrisn »

Now that several other "Standard Deviates" have come out of the loading room, I'd like to add one more tidbit.

I like several others found it the size of the pellet that makes the difference.
Not the brand or cost of the pellet.

In the mid 70's, the pellet to use was the H&N and the rifle was the FWB 300. (This alone will stir up something)

The national record of 399/400 was shot with a FWB 300 and out of the 'tin' H&N pellets.

To cut cost for my self and the junior club I started sizing pellets. After not to much effort, found that the "Black Box" Daisy pellets had a very close standard deviation to the H&N.
durant7

Post by durant7 »

Talk about making silk from a sows ear! I purchased through CMP the Daisy "black box" black pellets. What a disaster! Shots would not even touch. See below.

Although for most expert shooters here on this forum these pellets would be ruled out but for a youth program it was a reasonable approach for what I was doing. I picked up 3 sleeves of JSB ScHaK and moved on.

But the idea that one could turn the pathetic Daisy pellets into something that shoots well?!?! Wow! That is a labor of love! I gave mine to a caster.
jhmorrisn

pellets

Post by jhmorrisn »

If I’m reading it right, you shot those groups with two different rifles. One, an Ansultz 2022 and a Daisy 888.
Looking over your groups it looks like to me, you should chuck the Ansultz and stick with the Daisy.
Which leads to the questions, what was the distance from what position.

If you had sized those pellets used in the Ansultz would have made a big difference. Or switch to a FWB. Myself, when not shooting a precision match with a Daisy 853, I use a Daisy/FWB 300S.

BTW, now that the weather has most of us in the mid west are shut indoor for a while, several of us have start a 30 round off hand sporter rifle postal match shot at 25 feet on the TQ 5/5 target. Mostly Daisy, a few Marksman & Crosman.

Any one came and are welcome to join in.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

durant7,

A good start, but now use the two or three best pellets in each rifle for at least thirty rounds per group (preferably 50 or more) to be sure the groups shown are statistically relevant (they may be the best possible, not average, with those pellets).
gerhard

Post by gerhard »

Hello everybody
It's the same search all others the clubs, in France also we make groups with the pellets, we have the same HN RwS vogel JSB and some exotic marks.
But i think that the need of groups is function of your level of shooting ( i speak for the rifle ) if you shoot less than 540/550 the groups are not important because the errors doing by the shooter are more important than the groups. If you shot a 6 it's a great error, if the group is large you make only a 8, it's more important to find the reason of the bad shot than find the best pellets.
But a think also that it's important to use pellets with a correct group, for the confiance.
It's only my opinion. I hope that you understand what i want to explain with my schoolar english.

Gerhard from France
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Gerhard,

Well said. We tested when our shooters got into the mid 560's. As much for "mental relaxation" for the shooter as the groups.
Highpockets

FWB Pelletts

Post by Highpockets »

Hello,
I have the FWB 700 That I shoot in competition. I have just switched the kind of pelletts. Vogel pelletts are the best I have found. After two competitive shoots I have raised my scores 15 points since I have changed.

One thing I will tell you is that when you do find a good pellett for your shooting be sure to get alot of the same lot number so you will know they are all made the same. It dose make a big difference.

Also, some of the best Shooters in the World are using Vogel Pelletts.

Take care and think 10's
Highpockets