Question for left-handed shooters about side-cocking rifles

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Question for left-handed shooters about side-cocking rifles

Post by Guest »

In a few months, I'll be looking for a used 10M rifle for informal target practice--probably a Feinwerkbau 300, RWS 75, or something similar. The budget's tight, and that seems like a good way to experience accuracy and a good trigger for not a whole lot of money.

I'm left-handed; I see that some of these left-handed rifles are true left-handed actions, while others have a left-handed stock and still have their cocking lever on the right.

I've only owned a break-barrel air rifle. How does that work with a side-lever? If you're left-handed, is it best to look for a true left-handed action with the lever on the left? Is the RH lever more awkward? Or doesn't it matter? Or does it depend on who you ask? And if I'm shooting offhand more than prone, does that make it less of an issue?

Thanks in advance for whatever insights you lefties can offer!

Al
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

The 300-S and 75 were available with either right or left stocks, but the action was always on the right.
I'm left handed and used a FWB 601 for years with a left stock but right lever. It didn't take long to get used to cocking with my right hand but that was only ever off hand standing. 3-P may be a bit more awkward.
JSB
flea

lefty side cocking

Post by flea »

I agree with jsb. I shot an anschutz 2001 for a while and it was left handed stock with a right handed action. I really liked the way it felt but that too was only in offhand. If it is informal, you might be able to find a Walther cgm or equiv. co2 rifle that would make things a little easier.
DaFont

LH FWB-300S Shooter

Post by DaFont »

I concure with the other goofy shooters here. It's an easy transition and shouldn't be a problem.

Also, I may be interested in selling my LH FWB-300S if your interested. I'm going to pick up a sporter air rifle (AA-S200) and when one comes in one has to go out. Let me know.
DAF
Al C

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Post by Al C »

Hello, everyone! It's me, the OP. Now registered and logged in. Thanks for the input. And if anyone still has differing views on that original "LH rifle with RH lever" question, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts. But maybe either side is OK, as long as I have a LH stock.

DaFont, I've PM'd you. Probably won't actually be ready to buy until spring. But if your rifle is still available when the time comes, that's a possibility. Otherwise, I'll be checking in at Buy, Sell, Trade.

I look forward to visiting targettalk.org now and then and learning more from all of you. It's been a fascinating glimpse into a whole new world.

Al
dpg4

Post by dpg4 »

My daughter shoots a anschutz 2002LH. The lever is on the RH side of the gun, she shoots 575-580 in 3p so it looks to me like it works just fine. Im not sure but I think most air rifles have the same action but different stocks for LH or RH. As for small bore she has a true LH 1907.