.22 Scoring Plug Confusion

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Dean Peterson

.22 Scoring Plug Confusion

Post by Dean Peterson »

There are so many different plugs for rifle - rule books too - that I have to summarize them to keep things straight.

In doing so it appears that the NRA and USAS/ISSF have DIFFERENT dimensions for the INWARD (or what i consider the traditional etc.) .22 gauge.

NRA = .2225" to .2240" (5.6515 to 5.6896 mm)

USAS/ISSF = .2205" to .2224" (5.60 to 5.65 mm)

It appears that the NRA plug is significantly larger than the USA/ISSF plug - and that these two plugs/rules/dimensions are NOT interchangeable!

What am I missing here? Could the "inch" dimensions conceivably be botched by a typo?

I have not yet measured my older RIG gauges to compare to the latest offering from say Champions choice....but before I do I'd like to be clear about the actual dimensions of the .22 inward plugs.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
TomN

Post by TomN »

You are correct -- the NRA plug is slightly larger and is not legal for ISSF scoring purposes, including the USA50 target. The best summary of the scoring gauges can be found here:

http://www.odcmp.org/0108/default.asp?p ... RINGGAUGES

As a practical matter, an NRA inward gauge and an ISSF outward gauge will meet all your needs. Use the NRA inward gauge for all NRA competitions and the ISSF outward gauge for the USA50 indoor target. You'll have to use the NRA inward gauge to score the outermost two rings of the USA50 target. While not technically "legal," the size difference between in inward plugs is vanishingly small, and when we're talking about wide shots like this it's not likely to make any difference in the match outcome.
Tim Conrad

ISSF vs USA Shooting plug

Post by Tim Conrad »

Minor point: the ISSF does not have an outward gauge for the 50 ft target as they do not recognise it. USA Shooting has such a gauge, which is NOT the same size as the A-36 outward plug, although close. The NRA has adopted the 50 ft target and will use it for international style competitions starting Jan 1. So they also now support the USA-1 (or -50) plug and target. NCAA has used this target for several years.