Training rifle ~ Tau 200 or Sporter?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Shooterer

Training rifle ~ Tau 200 or Sporter?

Post by Shooterer »

Hi all,
I am looking for a air rifle to help me train for next years Highpower season (you may have seen my earlier post). At this point I could trade for a used Tau 200 or buy a new sporter (Challenger, Edge or the like) for the same value.

I am shooting at reduced targets at 7 meters. I shoot about 12-20 shots at a time 3-4 times a week. I have been shooting a Baikal 60 with custom sights, but I can now out hold the rifle.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Jim
Last edited by Shooterer on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

Not being certain exactly whot your future plans are I would recomend a used FWB 300S as one choice you will not be able to out shoot, Probably not in your lifetime. You can always move up from there if air rifle should bec ome your passion. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

I guess I'm asking you guys that know this question. For the same cost (ish) should I get:
Tau 200
Crosman 2009 Challenger
Airforce Edge (if they ever make it)
Air Arms (something)
70' springer

I will be shooting less than 100 shots per week, I'm not looking to compete with the rifle, I would like to be able to change the comb, length of pull and cant to match my HP match rifle in different positions.

Thanks,
Jim
WRC

Post by WRC »

Then you probably won't want a 70's era springer because there are no adjustments. To pin down the rest is still more up to you, as to which of those most closely resemble your hi-power setup. You are correct that practice on the basics, even with an air rifle versus a bigbore gun, will make you a better hipower shot. You may have to compromise that the airgun might not resemble your preferred stock setup, though.
WRC

Post by WRC »

oh, and I would strongly suspect that the TAU is more accurate than the Crosman. Don't know about the other brands. TAU has spacers for length of pull, and adjustable cheekpiece. Not sure how you anticipate changing cant, ie: cant of what? Other than just tipping the whole rifle over.
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

This is my HP match rifle

This is the Tau that is up for trade

Post by Guest »

Well, what do you want to practice? Prone? Standing?
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

I would like to practice all 3 positions. The IZH 60 that I am currently using only works well for off-hand, it is too small for others.

Thanks guys for your input.
Jim
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I've begun to get glimmerings that AirForce is about ready to get the Edge out .... you may want to look at that.

It's still a "sporter only" rifle, but it may be more similar to your HP rifle than any of the others
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

I have actually dreamed about the Edge for the last 2 years while shooting my Izzy. I have had many email correspondences with Rachel @ Airforce regarding the released date, "soon" has always been the answer.

I'm starting to believe the Vaporware stories.

Regarding the Edge, I am interested in seeing how the small loading gate will work with "manly" hot dog fingers :)

jk
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

The Daisy 887 is shaped a lot like many high power match rifles, and is currently available. One of our shooters ordered an Edge (in 2007), and it came in over Xmas. I was underwhelmed. I like the 887 much better, the Daisy design is older and has the bugs worked out, the Edge doesn't . While the Edge may eventually be a better (far better) rifle, it isn't yet.

Later

Mike
Wichita KS
TCWriter

Post by TCWriter »

I bought one of the Crosman Challengers (the new PCP models) and have been real happy with the accuracy (rested it's pretty much every shot in the same hole).

I don't know about the dimensions of your HP rifle, but the Crosman's pretty adjustable.

From what I've read, the Edge has a nice dry fire feature, but there have been some questions about the accuracy of the thing, which is pretty surprising.

Good luck.
OzzieM

Post by OzzieM »

The TAU 200 is very solid and dead accurate. Simple, effective mechanics, great adjustable trigger, good sights! Loading is easy, you just lay the pellet into the feeding channel, the bolt chambers the pellet when closing the bolt.

Go for the TAU 200, you will not be disappointed.

OzzieM