NEW to Air Rifle Competition...QUESTIONS!!

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Mischief

NEW to Air Rifle Competition...QUESTIONS!!

Post by Mischief »

Well, I'm 36 and recently purchased a Hunter Extreme. It's the first air rifle I've owned in over 20 yrs. Boy these things have come a long way! Anyway, I have really fallen in love with shooting air rifles again and would like to try my hand at a tourny/ Competition.

Where do I start? Can I use my H E? If not, what would be a good starter air rifle? (without spending $3k)

I live in Upstate NY, near Albany. How do I find out what there is near me? Or even in NY?

On a different note... DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO TUNES Hunter Extreme's? I want to have a GRTIII trigger installed but the manufacturer of that trigger doesn't tune H E's anymore.

Regards and thanks in advance for any and all help.

---Frank---
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

Probably your best route is to get a FWB 300 for 500 bucks. If you like a gamo, you will love a real match rifle. Of course there are other rifle options like a FWB 600, but they cost a tad more.
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

What kind of competition are you interested in? On this forum, most AR shooters are talking about 10m indoor, off hand. But there is an outdoor sport called Field Target you might be interested in, and I think AR is sometimes used for Silhouette. Each discipline has rules about equipment (trigger weight, rifle weight, sights vs. scopes, etc.).

For a guide to 10m and smallbore technique: Ways of the Rifle 2009.

Figure out which discipline you like first, then worry about the rifle.

OTOH, 10m is great practice regardless of the rifle discipline you "compete" in, you can do it indoors with a pellet trap.

For your questions about the HE, try the yellow forum:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/
S Schwegmann

Post by S Schwegmann »

For some friendly shooting try a Schutzenverein (german for shooting club) that uses air rifles, or look online for a club that shoots air rifles. How about starting one, I am sure that you could find more people that are interested in air rifle shooting. There is a club in Middle town Ohio call the Can killers. They get together and shoot in someone's back yard just for fun.
I started out with a gamo hunter and moved up to a Anschutz club. It cost new about 1550, and I am very happy.
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

The airforce edge has been getting good reviews, might be decent way to get started with a pcp.

Post by Guest »

melchloboo wrote:The airforce edge has been getting good reviews, might be decent way to get started with a pcp.
Since I started this thread, I have purchased an Air Force Condor and a Talon. I found a smallbore club that is interested in starting Air Rifle comp. Things are looking up. Hopefully, within a few months, we will be a full blown Air Rifle Club!

The Edge is a great suggestion. I have been talking to the guys at Air Force for a sponsorship, giving us edge at cost.
HansJurgen

Starter Air Rifle

Post by HansJurgen »

Don't forget the Walther LG30 Jr or Pro.

I put a scope on mine to shoot mini sniping @ 35yds, after ordering a new Steyer 110 LG, to go with my Steyr LP 10 E. I had it set up at 10M for the first zero, while waiting for the wind to subside at 35yds. I shot 12 bulls in a row with it, off of a table, resting on my shoulder and hands. I don't think I could expect anymore out of any air rifle, than that. I'm taking the scope off of it to shoot off-hand, if the Steyr turns out to be to heavy for my bad shoulders. I can also turn the air Rifle into a lefty, to shoot with my grand daughter. I'm still shooting with my FWB 300 W/scope for mini-sniping, because it's quieter.

HansJurgen