NRA vs ISSF Jacket Regs and Recommendations

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

zotparkerm

NRA vs ISSF Jacket Regs and Recommendations

Post by zotparkerm »

Father of a new shooter here. The boy is currently shooting NRA, but the thought process is to start trying ISSF once he proves himself (doing well so far in that regard).

I am sure this must have been discussed before, but could not find the topic.

What is the difference between 3P (or NRA 4P) jackets for NRA and ISSF?

Is there a beginners jacket that would be legal for both?

Any recommendations or feedback is much appreciated.
2650 Plus

Shooting Jackets

Post by 2650 Plus »

ISSF jackets are legal for NRA but NRA jackets are not for 3P under ISSF rules. Good Shooting Bill Horton
WRC177

Post by WRC177 »

You're looking for a jacket with buttons, not straps (& zippers) like the hi-power shooters use. Any button jacket will be legal for ISSF type, and ok for all NRA matches. Good idea to start outfitting in all ISSF gear, and he'll be able to shoot any style of matches. Champion Shooters Supply and Champions Choice are good places to buy beginners jackets. (or see the used ads here on Target Talk).
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

I tell my shooters to buy the Champion's Choice jackets as they seen to fit a larger range of shooters, especially the smaller kids. That one is also the cheapest I have found other than used equipment.

Post by Guest »

Back in the day - and that day was 30+ years ago - we all started out with single-layer canvas jackets with buttons and additional padding on the elbows, shoulder and sling area. Made by the the old 10-X company, they were fine for getting started. They offer absolutely no support, but did make shooting more comfortable by cushioning the pressure points. You may be able to find one of these for free somewhere. They never wear out and there were thousands of them around.

If you're looking for something a little more modern, any used coat with adjustable buttons will serve. Don't worry about excessive overlap (within reason here: Don't put a 3XL coat on a 14 year old kid) or other minutia that high-level competitors deal with at equipment control. The goal should be to get started right. You can always up-grade when you are sure your son will stick with the sport.

Thanks for supporting him in his choice of sport, and best of luck to him.