Need help with exercise/conditioning...

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

daved20319

Need help with exercise/conditioning...

Post by daved20319 »

It's that time of year when my shooting is restricted to indoors at 10M, but I'm really out of shape. Does anyone have a conditioning/exercise routine they use? My main weak spots seem to be my left shoulder and my lower back, especially when shooting a heavier rifle. I've been using an AA S200, but I'd like to get a vintage match rifle someday soon, so I intend to practice with a heavier rifle also. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Later.

Dave
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

Dave,

Based on the areas that you describe, it sounds like your position is to blame instead of conditioning. There shouldn't be any load on your left shoulder since the rifle is supported by your left elbow. As for your back, that's something that kind of just happens, but can be reduced by improving your balance and bone support in position.

You should focus on those things first because strength training instead would only lead to you continuing to use muscles you shouldn't.

For the most part, a general full body exercise routine will be enough for shooting. If you want to concentrate on something, concentrate on your core endurance and cardio.

Good Luck