Winter Air Gun Championships

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Slo cat

Winter Air Gun Championships

Post by Slo cat »

In just a few days, many of us will be arriving at Colorado Springs for the Winter Air Gun Championships.

It would be nice if the members of Target Talk can get together and meet in person. BTW, I hear that our forum sponsor, Scott Pilkington, will be there.

I just saw that there has been an update to the shooting schedule or maybe just the procedures. I did see that center shots will not be used at this match to determine placement. Shooting on paper targets certainly makes tracking center shots take a little more effort, but surely this could be done for the top 8 or 9 shooters without too much problem.

A Shooter's Tour of Germany in 2010 will be on my agenda to discuss with Scott.

Best Regards,
Slo cat
Oz

Post by Oz »

I'll be there! And really looking forward to it. Two other members of the club from here in SLC are joining me this year as well.

There is no doubt that the quality of participants will be stellar. And a large group, considering the use of a 2nd building.

It also appears that finals will be held in that additional building as well. No more upper range for finals... interesting. I'm curious if the electronic targets were all moved to this building and only reels exist on the upper and lower ranges? I also hope that this new building for finals is better designed for spectators. Fighting for seats on the upper range to watch finals was always a drag.

I asked Rhonda if anyone from Pilkington was going to be there... to see if it would be possible to save on some shipping costs for some product --in the event someone was making that very long drive. She indicated that Scott was not going to be there... curious.

Oz
Jack Milchanowski

Post by Jack Milchanowski »

Slo Cat- I see that we are shooting next to each other on the first day. I met you last year briefly and look forward to seeing you again.

Oz- How can I find you?

Come see us in the woods.
Jack
Oz

Post by Oz »

The cafeteria is the place to be! I usually find myself hanging out with David Alaways (if you know him) and listening to John Zurek when he has time. I bet Zurek is going to be busy and possibly in a "different place" this year however.

Otherwise, I'm 6' 2" dark hair, black glasses, late 30's.

We need a target talk arm band or bandanna or something. Maybe a pin? That would be cool... a pin you can buy from Pilkington; only available after you've made 50 quality posts... wait a minute... I probably wouldn't qualify...

Oz
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

One reason for not using inner-tens to break ties is probably that USAS is still using the rules from the last quad (version 2007). They have not yet published a version of rules that is up to date with ISSF. In the 2007 version of rules inner-tens is down the list at 3rd I think

I recall talking with Lindsay and her saying that they were hoping to have the new set out after the new year. JO qualifiers are running on the old rules too for the juniors.

Using the air rifle inward gauge (as required by the 2007 rules) seems to be a bit more difficult than the air PISTOL outward gauge (... against the 7 ring) as required by the 2009 (ISSF) rules. The AP outward is so much easier to use ... and faster too. Now you just have to find them. We used to get ours from Neal J's .... don't know who makes them now

I'll be there ... look for the chubby asst RO ... upper range I think
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

jhmartin wrote:The AP outward is so much easier to use ... and faster too. Now you just have to find them. We used to get ours from Neal J's .... don't know who makes them now

I'll be there ... look for the chubby asst RO ... upper range I think
You could always buy them from the ISSF Shop. I doubt that shipping will be too prohibitive.
GT

Post by GT »

Using a shoot off to determine the 8th shooter for the final is consistent with what the ISSF has done in 2009. An example is the Beijing World Cup 50 meter men's 3 position where 4 shooters were in a shoot off for the 8th position.

When shooting on paper targets, using center shots to break all ties (other than for finals) would require either 1) score all center shots on all targets or 2) score all of the targets, find the ties, score center shots, break all ties after challenges, score center shots again, allow challenges on those center shots, and so on. As full as this competition is, it becomes too difficult of a situation.
Slo cat

Post by Slo cat »

GT wrote:Using a shoot off to determine the 8th shooter for the final is consistent with what the ISSF has done in 2009. An example is the Beijing World Cup 50 meter men's 3 position where 4 shooters were in a shoot off for the 8th position.

When shooting on paper targets, using center shots to break all ties (other than for finals) would require either 1) score all center shots on all targets or 2) score all of the targets, find the ties, score center shots, break all ties after challenges, score center shots again, allow challenges on those center shots, and so on. As full as this competition is, it becomes too difficult of a situation.
Was the World Cup shoot off before or after scoring inner tens? I understand having a shoot off after scoring inner tens, but don't the ISSF rules specifiy the first tie-breaker?

If you are using inner tens on paper targets to break ties, they you only have to score these on the top 8 or whatever number of shooter to determine who will be in the shoot off. This could be done after challanges, making the process rather simple.

Best Regards,
Slo cat
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Slo cat wrote:Was the World Cup shoot off before or after scoring inner tens? I understand having a shoot off after scoring inner tens, but don't the ISSF rules specifiy the first tie-breaker?
Rule 6.14.6 For Olympic Events (with Finals)
If there is a tie to be eligible for the Finals from the Qualification Round, the tie will be broken by a Shoot-off and the rules for individual ties will not apply for those shooters.
Slo cat

Post by Slo cat »

David Levene wrote:Rule 6.14.6 For Olympic Events (with Finals)
If there is a tie to be eligible for the Finals from the Qualification Round, the tie will be broken by a Shoot-off and the rules for individual ties will not apply for those shooters.
Thanks for the clarification. So normal tie-breaker rules do not apply in determining who makes the finals, for Olympic Events, but not other ISSF events. Wow.

Best Regards,
Slo cat
Oz

Post by Oz »

Just heard from Scott via Facebook... he will not be there this time.
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

Looking forward to competing in Colorado in a few days! first time for me too this shoot! should be fun!
Patrick Haynes

Re: Winter Air Gun Championships

Post by Patrick Haynes »

Slo cat wrote:In just a few days, many of us will be arriving at Colorado Springs for the Winter Air Gun Championships.
Any links to the results?
TIA.
Patrick
Jack Milchanowski

Post by Jack Milchanowski »

Patrick

Story and results are up at www.usashooting.com

It has been fun!

Jack
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

Just got home from the matches. What a hoot.

Lots of great folks to see and visit with. Just like a big family reunion only it's with folks you like.

I was a range officer on the upper range on the electronic targets. Had the experience of watching Katy Emmons shoot a 400. That's a memory to keep. Her target had quit working after sighters. Wouldn't change over to match. Had to move her to the next target to the left. She was gracious and friendly through the whole thing. She got an extra 5 minutes due to the move. After everyone else was finished shooting, she had a few shots left. By now everyone was bunched up on her end of the range to watch. At the instant that 40th shot recorded as a 10, the place went nuts. Great work considering the distraction of a bum target and a move to start the match. She sure is cool under pressure.

It was great getting to visit with so many of you TargetTalkers.

See ya at the next match.

Marc
gerhard

Post by gerhard »

Hello Marc Orvin
How do you qualified the shooters for the event Winter Airgun Championship ?
Thank for the story of Katerina Emmonds, it's realy a great woman and a champion !
Bonne soirée
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

It is mostly a question of how quick you register for the match. They take so many shooters, then no more. We had shooters from 10 countries besides the US this year. 254 total shooters this year.

It is a fun match. I hope you can make it next year.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

As Marc said we range officers had a good time on the upper range this past weekend. To all the shooters who fired with us ... Thanks! You were all a great group to work for.

Make note ... even the USAS Olympic Trials (if they need to shoot them) is an open event ... first come, first served.

Also note on your calendars in a little over 10 weeks is the Rocky Mountain Rifle Championships (smallbore) <Feb 20-24> and then other half of the USAS Airgun Championship matches ... the Spring Airgun Championships <Feb 25-28>.
Keep an eye on this page at USA Shooting for the match programs when they become available:
http://www.usashooting.com/matchInfo.php

Gerhard ... we missed your team this year ... are you coming over in Feb?
gerhard

Post by gerhard »

You are luky in US, you must only be quick to make a Championship..
In France it's easyless, 2 steps.
1st step - departemental, a level of score to make or a quota of 40 or 60 shooters ( the first 40 or 60 in a category).
2 snd step (regional) All the French regions results are mixed and the 40 or 50 first shooters ( by categorie it's not the same nombers) go to the French Championships.
This ways of qualif give you your place in France ... funny No ?
Thank for the invitation to shoot in Colorado, but living near Paris, it's difficult and expensive, but it's a good idea. I would like very much come to the states, it's a dream for me, but money drive the life..
I give you the URL of my site, you will see some pictures of the las summer Championships in France..http://amannbg.free.fr/Le_Tir/

Best regards from France

gerhard