Scatt Piezo Failure

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

JohnC

Scatt Piezo Failure

Post by JohnC »

The piezo on my 6 month old Scatt seems to have failed. From needing a sensitivity of 3.5, I suddenly needed half scale, which worked for about 10 shots. Now the Scatt will not 'fire' at all. Has anyone had similar problems? I am guessing that this is a return under warranty job, but thought that there might be a simple solution.
Rgds,
John
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

If you are mounting the sensor to the gun in the same way as you always have then it does sound like there is a problem with it (or possibly the box/cabling).
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

Top tip - investigate before posting! I tried the scatt again this morning and it worked as before! Well, almost. I noticed that the trace before firing was only about 4 secs long. I chanced upon 'Hardware Reset' in the tabs at the top of the page and......back to normal!

So - for strange Scatt problems, try Hardware Reset!

I also noticed on the website a hrdware diagnotics tool. I haven't tried this, but will if I need to in future.

John.
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

How do you like the system? Due to the cost, I'm chicken to buy it.

spelling edit
Last edited by TerryKuz on Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

I like it! Yes, it is expensive but so is Tenex.......I use it for .22 small bore rifle training. There are a few threads on here with info - the instructions are not very forthcoming on how to interpret the results. I know I have improved a great deal using it. Just being able to pick up the gun every couple of days - and do something where I can see results - rather than having to wait to go to the range is a benefit in my view.
Go on - you know you want one!
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

Thanks for the reply. This might sound silly, but if it requires a lot of time to learn how to use, and it is difficult to use, I would probably never use it. I think it would be worth it if it made training easier, not more time consuming. I am really leaning to get one, but I was concerned it was difficult and a cost a lot of time to use. I would be using it on a Anschutz 9003 at 28 feet shooting distance. If I am pressed, I could get the full 10meters in my house, but 28 feet is easier.
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

I may have given he wrong impression; it's not difficult to set up or learn to use at all. I think that some - and only some - of the info that is generated is not self explanatory. To attach to your gun, shoot, and analyse for many common errors is very easy and very illuminating. I'm sure you've looked on www.scatt.com - you can see there much of what it can do. You can use as much or as little of the info as you like. Have a sarch on this forum for scatt - there are a few threads.
John
HS

SCATT

Post by HS »

Two things would help you:
always turn off Wifi function on your Pc & use cool lighting when you use SCATT.

Try it. Good luck

HS
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

HS,

I am curious, why do you think that it is necessary to turn off WiFi? I have never heard that before. I run Scatt on several different laptops with the WiFi radio enabled and have not had a problem.

Marcus
HS

Wifi scatt

Post by HS »

Marcus,

SCATT is known to freez in the middle of a session when a different program such as an update reminder pops up. It had happened while using Dell and toshiba notebooks before.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

HS

Had never heard of that. What seems to be the offending program(s)? We use Dell. McAfee AV.

Any info you could provide would be helpful. Send me a PM if you wish.

Marcus
GT

Post by GT »

We run our SCATT on an small laptop. We turnoff the WIFI to keep anti-virus programs, etc. from going out to the web and starting big down loads. Big downloads make our small laptop run slow and become unresponsive.