Eye dominance - new shooter question.

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Kevin6Q

Post by Kevin6Q »

It seems a bit middle aged when people are so adamant about "converting" a shooter to RH positions when they are more comfortable shooting left handed.
Al C

Post by Al C »

I used to shoot junior sporter air and I'm a cross dominant right handed shooter. It now seems to be in vogue with rifle to stay with the dominant hand.

Try attaching a translucent blinder (ie. milk jug, etc) to your son's rear sight and see what he thinks about right versus left. Size it to the full dimensions of the CMP rulebook to get an accurate assessment. Odds are he will prefer shooting right handed. Honestly, I might have stopped shooting if I'd been required to shoot lefty.

Does he wear glasses? Something I've just started playing around with for target shooting without a blinder is a pair of shooting glasses (Ray Ban Outdoorsmen) with zero prescription in the non-firing eye. It's pretty much a blinder and I just adjust the focus on my spotting scope to compensate.

My 2 cents.
Al C

Post by Al C »

I just realized the cadet rifle probably is used by quite a few cadets and they may not be open to blinders.

Even if he does not wear glasses, he should have safety glasses, no? The cheapest, easiest blinder solution is a piece of scotch tape down his left lens. Points are worth more than fashion.