Michigan State Rifle Team???

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jmkwyo

Michigan State Rifle Team???

Post by jmkwyo »

I know Michigan State has had a club team for a long time now. I also know that they built a new range. What I am having a hard time figuring out is if they ever went NCAA with scholarships and the works. I spoke to a club member last year at JORC in Csprings and she told me that this year would be the first year that they would be eligible to award rifle scholarships but I have not been able to find any information on the team. Anyone have any more information than I do???
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

I have heard rumblings of something happening in Michigan right now, not necessarily at Michigan State, but something. I don't have any details, but should know more after this weekend. As of right now, I don't think they're awarding scholarships.
Mich Native

MSU Rifle Scholarships

Post by Mich Native »

2010 MSU Shooting Sports Scholarships Will be Available for Students Who Matriculate to MSU in Fall of 2010
Learn more about MSU Achery, Rifle and Pistol Scholarship Programs by clicking on the 2010 Scholarship Announcement .

If interested in applying for a Shooting Sports Scholarship, please fill out the Shooting Scholarship Application Form.

The National Rifle Association of America Women's Policies Committee has established a Women's Wildlife Management/Conservation Scholarship program. To learn more about this Scholarship Progam click on the NRA 2010 Woman's Scholarship Announcement. If you are interested in applying for the scholarship, please fill out the Woman's Scholarship Application Form.

Scholastic Shooting Sports Trust Fund

Competitive school shooting teams can receive a huge boost of support because Larry and Brenda Potterfield announced they would match the first $1 Million in donations to school teams through the Scholastic Shooting Trust. Any school receiving a donation in the Scholastic Shooting Trust Fund will have it matched dollar for dollar by the Potterfield family until the $1 Million goal is reached. The Scholastic Shooting Trust has already provided grants to 26 teams this year and the number of teams receiving grants has the potential to increase substantially with this announcement. "We want to support these teams and see the sport become stronger and competitive. This is just our way of helping to change the future of shooting sports." Said Larry Potterfield, President of MidwayUSA Foundation, Inc.

The Scholastic Shooting Trust was formed to provide funding for shooting sports education in traditional public and private high schools, colleges and universities, so that participating students can improve their confidence, discipline and leadership skills. Alumni, families, the community, and other interested individuals and organizations, fund the grants through donations to the Scholastic Shooting Trust so that youths have a better opportunity to compete in the shooting sports. The Trust (www.scholasticshootingtrust.org) is a mission of the MidwayUSA Foundation, Inc. started by Larry and Brenda Potterfield in 2007 to support education in shooting sports, hunting, firearms safety and outdoor skills.

John Vaclavek, Acting Executive Director (573) 445-6363 (573) 445-6363 or jvaclavek@thepotterfieldgroup.com
jmkwyo

Post by jmkwyo »

Thanks for the info... I would still love to find out who the coaches of these club teams are so I can contact them... anyone have any ideas? I have several shooters who are looking to compete in college and want to stay in the area...
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

Sorry, just to clarify, these are Academic Scholarships for folks who have an interest in the shooting sports. These are not athletic scholarships. I just want that to be said to be clear and keep the University out of any hot water.

On the other hand, there is a movement right now to get the Michigan State program promoted to Varsity status. It shows promise since there is a facility, student-athletes, limited operations, and limited funding already in place. However Michigan State still has to be convinced to start a sport which will likely never be a black item in the Athletics budget.

I'll keep this threat updated as I receive more info.
jmkwyo

Post by jmkwyo »

Right we have the same academic scholarships for rifle athletes available here in Wisconsin. Do you know the name of the club coach at Mich. State? The team has to approach in a way that shows the kind of talent and students they would receive if they did go NCAA. NCAA rifle athletes are among the smartest of any NCAA sport. The team might not draw huge audiences but they do draw dedicated kids with a desire to learn and compete for their school. Anyways, if you have any contacts please let me know. This rumor has been going on for at least 2 years now...
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

I have just been pulled into the discussion and effort. The person who brought me in dropped a half dozen names that I couldn't really keep up with. I'm trying to get information on the team too.
jop43

Post by jop43 »

The rifle coach used to be Keith Hein. I don't know if he still is but he is very active in their new shooting complex, the Demmer Center.
jmkwyo

Post by jmkwyo »

eleyboy

yes ther is a msu team

Post by eleyboy »

yes msu has a club team. i am a junior shooter from the club. but they are not ncaa yet. hopfulyl in the next 2 or 3 yrs they will get the funding. keith hien is the head coach for the team and can answer questions you have. his email is heinke@msu.edu and demmer centers website demmercenter.msu.edu
hope this helps you :)
jmkwyo

Post by jmkwyo »

Thanks... hope they go NCAA sooner than that, but anytime is a good time!