When are you concidered a good marksman?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Rookie

When are you concidered a good marksman?

Post by Rookie »

I am new in this, I started i a club in the beginning of October this year.

I have only been shooting 15m range with cal. 22, with a High Standard - Sharpshooter.

I started to get round 240 points /30 shots. Now naerly 1½ later I have imporved to 272-273

Is that good or normal?

Additionally will I gain something on that distance with a more modern gun?
David Levene

Re: When are you concidered a good marksman?

Post by David Levene »

Rookie wrote:Is that good or normal?
I'm afraid it is impossible for us to tell without details of the targets you are using.

You will appreciate that 15m is not an internationally recognised target distance. Are you using scaled targets. If so, from which original target.
Quest1

Post by Quest1 »

Rookie wrote:I am new in this, I started i a club in the beginning of October this year.

I have only been shooting 15m range with cal. 22, with a High Standard - Sharpshooter.

I started to get round 240 points /30 shots. Now naerly 1½ later I have imporved to 272-273

Is that good or normal?

Additionally will I gain something on that distance with a more modern gun?
Strictly speaking from a proportional scale your 240 score from a 30 shot match equates to a score of 480 in a 60 shot international match. Since you are using a sport or standard pistol, which usually are 60 shot matches. I believe the 480 score equates to be a D class shooter. Your latest scores, but you in the 544 or 545 score range for a 60 shot match, which I think could put you in the A class.

However, as the previous commenter said this will all depend on the targets and the type of match you are shooting. The distance you are shooting is roughly the same as the 50ft ranges most shooters use here in the US. If your targets are the reduced sizes of the international 25 meter targets to 50ft or 15 meters then those proportions may be a good approximation. I am assuming further that you are shooting an internationally excepted standard pistol match and the only difference is the number of shots. Your scores would probably be different for a sport pistol match since half the match would be rapid fire. A normal sport pistol match is 30 precision shots and 30 rapid fire shots.
Misny

Post by Misny »

It sounds like for the short 6 weeks of shooting you have been doing, that you are improving nicely. Keep studying the fundamentals of pistol shooting and apply them. If possible get the help of a coach to help eliminate faults in technique before they become ingrained. Your High Standard Sharpshooter should take you a long way. I wouldn't worry about equipment at this point, as long as, your pistol functions reliably and is reasonably accurate. In pistol shooting there are far more points lost because of shooter errors than poor equipment.
Rookie

Post by Rookie »

David Levene wrote:
Rookie wrote:Is that good or normal?
I'm afraid it is impossible for us to tell without details of the targets you are using.

You will appreciate that 15m is not an internationally recognised target distance. Are you using scaled targets. If so, from which original target.
I understand, i didnt know, it is diffrent "out there"...

the diameter of the 10 ring is 25mm ~ 1inch
the diameter of the 9 ring is 50mm ~ 2inch, giving 12,5mm (½ inch) on each side of the 10.
the following rings follow the same pattern.
Rookie

Post by Rookie »

Misny wrote: If possible get the help of a coach to help eliminate faults in technique before they become ingrained.
Thank you for point of view.

Unfortunately the club dont have a coach. All they talk is saftey- which is good enough, but not getting further I fear.

Thet's why I look up places like this :-)

I want to improve, and I dont want to go "down on the equipment".

Best regards, Rookie
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Rookie wrote:the diameter of the 10 ring is 25mm ~ 1inch
the diameter of the 9 ring is 50mm ~ 2inch, giving 12,5mm (½ inch) on each side of the 10.
the following rings follow the same pattern.
I don't know what target that is.

If it was proportional to the 25/50m target when shot at 25m then the 10 diameter would be 27.76mm, 9 would be 57.76mm, 8 would be 87.76mm etc.

The target you are shooting at is therefore smaller (and harder) than the international 25m precision target.
Oz

Post by Oz »

You know for sure, when you 'place' at a World Cup event. I suck.
TB

Post by TB »

Sadly the 15m target is the most common one used in Denmark, even for airpistol. It is a historical thing. In Denmark there are two shooting federations one is for "common" shooters and the other for "elite" shooters (very simplified though since a lot of shooters are in both federations). The "common" shooters federation have alle the money and they don't give a shit about what shooters in the rest of the world are doing, they are more concerned about people having a good time and socializing events. The other federation is a member of ISSF.

The target used for 15m is an exact scale down from a 50m target to 25m, so when you shoot it at 25m it is like shooting free pistol. I have no idea where this idea came from since it is never used at 25m.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

TB wrote:The target used for 15m is an exact scale down from a 50m target to 25m, so when you shoot it at 25m it is like shooting free pistol. I have no idea where this idea came from since it is never used at 25m.
If you do that scaling correctly, allowing for the fact that the bullet diameter remains at 5.6mm, then the 10 diameter would be 22.2mm, 9 would be 47.2mm, 8 would be 72.2mm etc.

If it's only used for national competitions then I don't suppose it makes any difference at all; everyone is using the same targets and you don't need to compare scores to those shot in other countries.

We have/had the same thing in the UK with a target that evolved into one designated PL15. If you go back into history it started as the 50m target (badly) scaled to be shot at 20 yards. They then changed it to include the 6 ring in the black and then further changed it to make the 9 ring the 10, the 8 ring the 9, etc. What is left is a unique target that bears no relationship to anything else.