Modern Pentathlon changing to Laser Pistols

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

trinity

Modern Pentathlon changing to Laser Pistols

Post by trinity »

jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

To lower the environmental impact??????
Next they'll have to hold their breath to lower the carbon footprint too.

This is PC going way overboard to make a sound bite.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I guess they'll have to ride something other than horses that have a huge carbon footprint too, and stop running because they produce too much CO2.

But really, I wouldn't be surprised that all the shooting sports disappear from the large multi-sport games in the next 15-20 years.
Oz

Post by Oz »

I've always considered that competitive shooting might one day move away from any type of projectile. The sport is all about holding steady and maintaining trigger control through the hold. The resulting projectile sent down range to give an approximate location is a relatively inaccurate method of identifying where the barrel was pointed when the trigger was pulled.

In theory, taking the projectile out of the equation would take the sport to the ultimate in accuracy.

I loathe and despise the thought.

If competitive 'shooting' is around in 100 years, it's going to be about who can hold something more still than another while the index finger clicks something. Ah, progress.
valentsgrif

Post by valentsgrif »

Oz wrote: The sport is all about holding steady and maintaining trigger control through the hold. The resulting projectile sent down range to give an approximate location is a relatively inaccurate method of identifying where the barrel was pointed when the trigger was pulled.
There exists also the concept of shot follow through: maintaining the hold while the projectile transports itself through the barrel.

Also to be missed is the engineering of the weapon, advancing technology to achieve consistency of man and machine.

Its all a step backword and in my gut, I feel "whats the use".
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

How sad...

UIPM has already downgraded the shooting section to the point where for many competitors the best option is to pick up the pistol (starting the time) and not bothering to fire a shot, intead using the shooting time to get their breath for the next 1000M run.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Spencer wrote:UIPM has already downgraded the shooting section to the point where for many competitors the best option is to pick up the pistol (starting the time) and not bothering to fire a shot, intead using the shooting time to get their breath for the next 1000M run.
That certainly wouldnt be the top shooters Spencer. They are frequently only using 20-25 seconds to hit the 5 targets. Using an extra 45-50 seconds just to get their breath back would not be an option.
Roy Hill

Post by Roy Hill »

Politically-correct idiocy
fast shooter

Post by fast shooter »

wii olympic pistol event!
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Absurd. Obscene. And an insult to Pierre de Courbertin. The whole point of Modern Penthalon was to be a match for the junior officer. Which includes fighting arts.

Hopefully the competitors will smack some people over the head.

If anything, they should ditch air pistol in favor of muzzle-loading arms IAW the MLAIC rules.
hank2222

Post by hank2222 »

the sport was taken from the military dispatch rider job of take message from one point to another point on the battlefield ..that what the sport was desing to mimic right ..
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Yup. The sort of thing that a Napoleonic-era junior officer might be expected to do...ride with the message, defeat attempts to stop him with sword and pistol, swim the unfordable river, and complete his mission on foot. Gloriously romantic.
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

they should switch to mechanical horses (fixed location, such as the bull in a C&W bar) and do their fencing with a video game!
Oz

Post by Oz »

Bill Poole wrote:they should switch to mechanical horses (fixed location, such as the bull in a C&W bar) and do their fencing with a video game!
LOL! I'm afraid that you might not be too far off. Let's talk about this in 20 years. The Pentathlon will be sponsored by the Nintendo Wii --Gen XII.

Oz

Post by Guest »

The "feel good" philosophy will make the olympics a spectacle event where every competitor will line up in the stadium and get a gold medal just for saying 'present!'

Post by Guest »

Oz wrote:I've always considered that competitive shooting might one day move away from any type of projectile. The sport is all about holding steady and maintaining trigger control through the hold.
Some competitive shooting sports have different agendas and aims, and will never degrade themselves that way.