Daisy 887

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

dwaine1980

Daisy 887

Post by dwaine1980 »

I work with a JROTC program and have two questions relating to our new Daisy Air Rifles. Instructions that came with the book says that we are to use only 30w motor oil applied to the threads on the CO2 cylinder before screwing into the rifle. The film that we had to watch states that we can use silicone to lubricate the threads. I need to know which one it is or can we use both and will this void the warrent if we do not use 30w motor oil as recommended by Daisy.

Also, when shooting the 10meter air rifle target what are the adjustments(how many clicks) does it take to move the strike of the pellet up/down/left/right for each cirlcle to bring the pellet to center of target.

Thanks to all who help with these questions
MontereyJack

Post by MontereyJack »

On the clicks we use a rule of thumb 3 click per scoreing ring to get in the ball park
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Agree w/ MontereyJack ... 3 clicks per ring

Lubrication: We use a beeman oil called "MP-5 Metalophilic Oil"
http://www.airgunsbbguns.com/Beeman_MP_ ... ee9205.htm
We use this because it does not get gummy.

I think any type of lube is fine with Daisy as long as it is fairly lightweight oil. We use a heavyduty paper towel folded down into quarters and put a few drops of oil on it and then lube the o-ring with that. You need to lube to keep from tearing up the o-ring. In a pinch we've even used a silicone spray on the towel.

I like the MP-5 oil as I can lube the internal o-rings of the action/valve and on the cylinder valve by putting a few drops directly on the valve openings.

We've had a few times when a speck of dirt or something causes a slight leak of the cylinder or a leak when the valve won't fully close when a few drops of the MP-5 has "washed" the speck off of the seat an all is well.

I also use this oil to prep "wet" felt pellets for cleaning the bbls. put about 30 felts in a pellet tin and about 10 drops of the MP-5 ... close it up and let it sit a day or so ... all the felts will have soaked in some of the oil. Fire a few (2-3) wet felts and then 6-8 dry ones

One bottle easily lasts us 6 months or so
WRC

Post by WRC »

As far as clicks per ring, that is an excellent training moment for your shooters. Have them fire 5 shot groups, have them move the sights 20 clicks in some direction and fire a group again. Observe the difference. Do again in another direction. Try to shoot a square (5 shot groups in each corner). Let them deduce the # of clicks with simple experimentation. They will remember not only the number, but the reasoning, which is far more important.