"Newbie" -- Detroit MI -- Where to shoot/train

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Leo

"Newbie" -- Detroit MI -- Where to shoot/train

Post by Leo »

Folks, I'm "old" and new to shooting small bore, and I need coaching and groupd to shoot with -- while I live west of Detroit MI, does anybody know of a club (or could recommend a club) with indoor shooting? I appreciate the support... let me know. :)

maybe a hint

Post by Guest »

Years ago, a club in Livonia held air rifle matches (which I never actually attended :^( but perhaps they are still around. Sorry that's all I can help with, as I live one state (and a great lake) west of you. Good luck!
plinker

Post by plinker »

I'm an old smallbore shooter as well and finding a good range to shoot on is always a problem. It's even more of a problem if you are looking for an indoor range!

Here's a few suggestions for you to try:
Go to the NRA website (www.nrahq.org) and look for the topic "places to shoot". You can also look for listings for smallbore matches in your area and you might be able to find fellow smallbore shooters to help you out.

Go to www.smallbore.us and post a similar question - lots of SB shooters there to help you out.

Talk to the local gun shops (targetmaster, bass pro, etc) and see if they have any information.

Find a collegiate rifle team in your state and ask for information from them for possible indoor ranges that you could use.

Good luck, and I hope you find what you're looking for!
Thomas Monto

Clubs

Post by Thomas Monto »

Clubs in the Detroit area, Multilakes, Western Wayne. most smallbore shooters are shooting in Jackson. Jackson County Sportsman’s Club
500 Mantle Avenue, Jackson, MI 49202

Contact J. Michael O'Connor jmoconnor@cmsenergy.com

Directions: Exit I-94 at US-127 S. Proceed south to the first exit (Michigan Avenue) exit at Michigan Avenue and turn right (west) on Michigan Avenue. Continue past the Meijers Store until you reach Dettman Road (approx ½ mile). Turn right (north) on Dettman Rd and in a short distance turn left on Key St. Follow Key St until it ends at Mantle Avenue. Turn right on Mantle which ends into the Club parking lot.
Leo

shooting sb in michigan

Post by Leo »

Thomas, thanks for your reply -- I was travelling the last few days. I sent an email to that individual (Michael O'Connor) and no reply -- would you happen to know what hours the club is open this weekend, and I'll drive out to say hello. Let me me know when you find a moment. Regards, Leo
rolado

shooting club

Post by rolado »

Do a google search and you can get all the details.
sp20

Detroit Shooting

Post by sp20 »

Leo, what City are you near, there are of to places to shoot. Jack
Leo

Places to shoot snr SB...

Post by Leo »

Thanks for the note -- I've found three potential clubs Howell (was out there this weekend - great bunch of guys)... or Jackson (still having problems getting info -- may drive out there this morning) or the Monroe club -- what "has" been eye opeing is the level of euipment required... I'm going to need more "points" at home :) (I need a mat, a glove, a sling and perhaps a LH jacket, and a spotting scope... (LOL)). Have a good day.
plinker

Post by plinker »

Leo,

Do yourself and your wallet a favor and don't try to buy everything at once. With a little resourcefulness, you can find things that work just as well for you as buying new gear right now.

For instance, a piece of carpet, a foam mat, or an old yoga mat work very well as shooting mats. You can substitute an old belt for a sling. Old gloves can be used for shooting gloves until you are ready for a "real glove" (there's some pretty inexpensive ones out there).

Spend your money on the things that matter right now - a good rifle with decent target sights and plenty of ammo. You can use a decent pair of binoculars until you are flush enough to get a spotting scope.

Check around with the shooting clubs you've discovered and see if anyone has some old equipment they wouldn't mind letting you use or buy from them cheap. Most older shooters have extra gear around that they might consider loaning you until you are ready to purchase newer stuff.

Also check out the internet for used equipment. Sometimes you can find some real good deals there!

Post by Guest »

If you land with a good club, there will probably be equipment that can be loaned to you. Especially mat, sling, kneeling roll, maybe glove. Plinker is right, most smallbore shooters welcome new shooters to join them, & will help find gear for you to try. (You might even want to make that a criterium for choosing a club to join.)