Is this a good price?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

talladega

Is this a good price?

Post by talladega »

I've been offered to buy the air rifle that i've been borrowing since may and was wanting to see if the price i've been offered is a good price or not.

The gun is a Steyr LG100. The price the owner has offered me is $1600 CDN for the gun and whatever extras are with it.

I already have the gun here with me as i've been borrowing it, and it seems to be in very good condition besides one knob on the rear sight is cracked but it still functions fine.

He also has a large scuba tank (about 27" high and about 7.5" diameter) that does like 3000psi (i think) that he will sell to me for an extra $250.

So is this a good deal?

thanks
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

I have an LG-100 and they cost new in the UK £1200. On the second hand market they sell from between £600 and £900 depending on the condition.

If you can convert these prices to CND that should give you a starting point for what to offer.

I like the LG-100 and in some respects it had a better pistol grip than the LG-110.

I updated my LG-100 by fitting the pistol grip spacer so you can angle the grip and i also fitted the muzzle weight/sight carrier from the LG-110. I also fitted the sliding barrel weight from the 110 so now i can remove the cylinder with out having to remove the barrel first.

JSB
Isabel1130

Scuba tank

Post by Isabel1130 »

Price for the scuba tank seems way too high. It sounds like a very small tank and will have to be refilled constantly. You need one that will hold at least 80 cubic feet of air, A tank that big stands over 40 inches high and is probablly over 20-25 inches in diameter. I bought one of those for 155 dollars US last spring. Call a scuba shop and see if they have some used tanks that big. It is the best way to go. Isabel
talladega

Post by talladega »

Ok guys. Price is good for the gun.

I sent him a message to see how much he payed for the gun.

Supposedly the tank is a very good one. It was about half full when I first borrowed it in May and since then i've shot around 6 or 7 matches and it still fills up the gun enough for at least 2 matches.

I'll find out what he payed for it. I don't believe that he would try to rip me off. I've known him for a few years now and he isn't that type of guy.
DRB3224

Re: Is this a good price?

Post by DRB3224 »

talladega wrote: He also has a large scuba tank (about 27" high and about 7.5" diameter) that does like 3000psi (i think) that he will sell to me for an extra $250.

So is this a good deal?

thanks
What you describe sounds like an 80ft tank. See this link

http://www.divegearexpress.com/library/tanks.shtml

Scroll down to "How to select a scuba tank" and you'll dimensions.

The 40 inch tall, 24 inch diameter tank mentioned above is not a scuba DIVING tank. It may be a holding tank used as a source to refill tanks that divers wear. Regardless of its manufactured purpose, a tank 40" high, 24" diameter will be much more difficult to move to a shop for filling (need a compressor) compared to an 80 ft tank - 24" high, 7.5" diam. The 80s weigh 30-35 pounds and are easily loaded by hand.

On the price. For comparison, Champion's Choice sells a new 80 ft tank

http://www.champchoice.com/prod-COM_AIR ... -1425.aspx

It is $190.

An 80 ft tank holds lots of air. I would be surprised if you needed to fill it more than 1x a year. BUT if you shoot everyday, maybe it would need to be filled more often. From your use of friend's tank, I expect you will not be filling it very often.

Glenn
talladega

Post by talladega »

He told me he paid $350 for the tank originally and I could get a used tank around here for $175 without any adapter. So then I might as well get this on for $250.
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

There is one small bonus with the Steyr, you should get around 450 + shots from a full tank, i do with my LG-100.
JSB

Post by Guest »

talladega wrote:

I'll find out what he payed for it. I don't believe that he would try to rip me off. I've known him for a few years now and he isn't that type of guy.
I am amazed at how insensitive some people can be. It is none of your business what he paid for the gun. If the gun is a good value to you, then you should buy it.

I was amazed by your first post where you are questioning the value of the gun in a public forum. Do you not think the owner is not likely to know of your question? The owner has generously loaned you an expensive gun to use for a period of time, and then you want to question his authenticity? What a heel you are! Even if he offered you a slighly high price, a polite person would pay it, and it consider it a "rent" or slight education cost. To question the owner's value of it at this point in a public place is beyond insensitive, it's downright RUDE.
Dehouser

Post by Dehouser »

Anonymous wrote:
I am amazed at how insensitive some people can be. It is none of your business what he paid for the gun. If the gun is a good value to you, then you should buy it.

I was amazed by your first post where you are questioning the value of the gun in a public forum. Do you not think the owner is not likely to know of your question? The owner has generously loaned you an expensive gun to use for a period of time, and then you want to question his authenticity? What a heel you are! Even if he offered you a slighly high price, a polite person would pay it, and it consider it a "rent" or slight education cost. To question the owner's value of it at this point in a public place is beyond insensitive, it's downright RUDE.
I think you may be overreacting here. I would guess that the potential purchaser was simply wondering what approximate used values for such a gun were. Or, perhaps you are the owner and are feeling slighted. In any case, I doubt any of this was done in a malicious manner. My 2 cents.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I am sorry. I totally misread the original specs and was thinking 7.5 inches of circumference and NOT diameter. It sounds like it is indeed probably an 80 CF tank. If you shoot a lot you may have to refill a couple times a year. I bought mine in April and I really need a refil las my cylinders are now going about a third of the way into the green but I shoot a lot. Isabel
talladega

Post by talladega »

Anonymous wrote:
talladega wrote:

Wow. I just wanted to know if it was a good price or not because I have absolutely no clue what the average price for this gun is. Maybe you should mind your own business? If the gun is only worth $1000 and I wont pay $2000 for it. That is why I asked.

I see no problem asking about the value of a gun. If you see that as a problem I feel sorry for you. I'm not trying to be dishonest so how about you stop the personal attacks?

Anyways, thanks to everyone else for your help. I will double check my finances and most likely will buy it.