Scoring gauge for the NRA/USAS-50 target

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Scoring gauge for the NRA/USAS-50 target

Post by Guest »

I am looking to purchase this scoring gauge, which is described in a recent article as the 50-foot USAS 50 Smallbore Rifle Outward Gauge (8.98-9.03 mm) for scoring 10 to 4 rings on the new NRA/USA-50 target. I have been unable to locate a source for the gauge, and am told that they are not being manufactured. I find this hard to believe, as the NRA/USAS target has been in use for some time in both NCAA and USAS competition. Can anyone point me to a source of this gauge, or explain which gauge I should be using?
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

My gauges were made by Neal Johnson. Neal closed up shop in July.
My suggestion ... take an air rifle or some other outer gauge to a machinist or maybe even a High School/trade school and ask if they'll make one with the proper dimensions ...

Also maybe call a college coach who now has megalinks and see if they will sell theirs
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Send me an email. I can make you one.

Post by Guest »

both Bill earnest and Champion Shooters
Supply have them.
TomN

Post by TomN »

I have checked with both Champion's Choice and Champion Shooters Supply and neither stocks an outward scoring gauge. I have also contacted the Rifle Department at NRA, but they have not responded. It seems that this outward scoring gauge is not available.

My understanding is that all NRA sanctioned 3P competition will be fired on the NRA/USA-50 target beginning Jan 1, 2010. I also understand that the scoring gauges used for the A17 and A36 target are not acceptable for scoring the new target, and that many clubs (like my own) will be searching for these gauges. I expect that, finding the outward gauges unavailable, most will be forced to use their existing inward gauges and just trying to make the best of it.

Perhaps this is an opportunity for someone to step up and meet a need, and make a few bucks in the process.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

I have today (12/10/09) confirmed that Bill Earnest (570-797-4872) IS making the outside gauge for the NRA/USA-50 target. Champion's Choice does not have them.