Which brain ?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

MontereyJack

Which brain ?

Post by MontereyJack »

Is rifle shooting a right or left brain activity? I am an accomplished skeet shooter, but new to air rifles. When shooting skeet it a right brain activity muscle memory, sub-conscious like the art of shooting without thought. You process information on conditions, position of body where to look for the bird. Then you turn all that off and call “pull” at this time the right brain takes over and makes the many correction to shot placement to get the shot and the bird to intersection in the same time and space. I do not know if rifle shooter have the same feeling or is all analytical process thinking of all the processes that are required to release a good shot? What do others think of this question right or left ?
Enquiring minds want to know Thank you

Post by Guest »

Come on Know it all Steve, give us your teory.
Steve Swartz as Guest

Post by Steve Swartz as Guest »

Yeah, well, the "Tall Trees" catch all the wind . . .

http://www.webalice.it/fdirusso/papers/2005_MSSE.pdf

follow the cites from this article and a while bunch of stuff shows up.

Just google "brain activity shooting" and a bunch of other stuff shows up.

If you have access to a good academic abstracting/search service you will get a few articles (not all are available for free off the 'net.)
MontereyJack

Post by MontereyJack »

So Steve you are saying is shooting is shooting be it shotguns, rifles, Pistols, or even bows and arrows the brain useage is the same
Steve Swartz as Guest

Post by Steve Swartz as Guest »

Umm sort of.

While there is much "crossover" between disciplines, I have typically maintained that rifle and pistol shooting were "inverse" disciplines (in that the prioritization of position-alignment-trigger differed).

I thought the link I gave you was for rifle shooters shooting off-hand . . . ?

In any event, the list of references on that particular article linked to other similar shooting studies in different disciplines.

But most do seem to focus on rifle shooting.

Were you not interested in rifle shooting? Apologies if I misunderstood.

Steve
2650 Plus

Brain ?

Post by 2650 Plus »

I have never considered which part of my brain is used to control my shooting because that is one thing I cannot change , there fore it just is not a valid consideration in delivering a shot on the target. Who cares ? Good Shooting Bill Horton