Soldier wins in Men's rifle at Benning match

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

USAMU

Soldier wins in Men's rifle at Benning match

Post by USAMU »

By Michael Molinaro
USAMU PAO

FORT BENNING, Ga. - Soldiers from the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit shot their way onto the medal stand today at the 2009 International Rifle and Pistol Fall Selection "Champion of Champions" matches at Pool International Shooting Complex.
Sgt. 1st Class Eric Uptagrafft won first place in the Men's Rifle 50-meter prone event and was followed by Spc. Joseph Hein, USAMU. Uptagrafft scored a perfect 600 to advance to the final round and outlasted his USAMU teammate. Former USAMU Soldier Steve Goff rounded out the top three.
In the Men's 50-meter free pistol match, three 2008 Olympians battled for first place. Brian Beaman came out on top, defeating Sgt. 1st Class Daryl Szarenski of the USAMU, and Jason Turner.
The competition continues with Men's and Women's Air Pistol, and Men's and Women's 3x20 and 3x40 rifle matches on Thursday and Friday. Shooters are attempting to qualify for spots on the national team to compete in the 2010 World Championships as well as multiple World Cup events in 2010. The event runs through Oct. 1st.

v/r,

Mr. Michael Molinaro, YA
Public Affairs Officer
US Army Marksmanship Unit
7031 Bills St Rm 208
Fort Benning, GA 31905
(706) 545-5436 - Office
(270) 304-9410 - Cell
(706) 545-6704 - Fax
UNCLASSIFIED////
Guest.

Post by Guest. »

Isn't this their home range?
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

Adressing the home range comment. The ten ring is exactly the same size as it is on your home range, and fifty meters is also fifty meters at Fort Benning .Training is the real difference . Try it sometimes,you may like it. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

is there anyone who has a link to where they are posting the results? I tried USA shooting Nothing up there yet. Isabel
Jason

Post by Jason »

Wow! Another 600 for Eric - nice job. Does anyone know if he's using the action he designed or something else?

JJ
Guest.

Post by Guest. »

Bill,

You make a good and valid point, but there is something called home court advantage. Most sports have this during championships and well if they train there constantly, are in a place they are the most familiar with, they have an inherited advantage over shooters who do not (with respect to light, wind, etc throughout the day).

Theoretically, a professional basketball court, hoop, etc is the same in LA as it is in NY, Oakland or Seattle. I'm sure some of this is universal to any sport. Symantecs aside, those scores were great.

Tom
R.M.

Post by R.M. »

Jason, I think he was.
Misny

Post by Misny »

That's some terriffic shooting. I'll be anxiously awaiting the scores in the other disciplines. Do we live in a great country or what? Civilians allowed on one of the biggest military installations in the country and shooting on one of the world's finest ranges. That's how I like to see my tax dollars at work!
Jason

Post by Jason »

R.M. wrote:Jason, I think he was.
Hopefully he'll come online at some point and tell us how it went . . . and maybe include some pictures (hint, hint).

JJ
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Why are there no results on the USAS website?
Eric U

Ok, I'll bite

Post by Eric U »

This is a USAMU match that is USA Shooting registered. Results are on the AMU website under competitions... That is why it isn't on USA Shooting's website. It may be after it is all over, but right now AMU is the only place for results.

It was a good match for me. Best results in years. Best position in years.

Yep, my action. I've had some great practice sessions with this gun, but finally put it together in a match. In the week leading up to the match I didn't drop a point in prone. All together I had 259 tens in a row (299 if you count the 40 10's I shot at 300m). This is by far the best .22 I've ever shot.

Eric
Blind kiwi

Soldier wins mens match at Benning

Post by Blind kiwi »

Well done Eric; any photographs of you rifle?
Wood stock or aluminum?
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

From a distance my rifle looks like an Anschutz 1813, because it is in a wood 1813 stock. The only noticable difference is that the action is about 2" shorter. I've got pictures on my other computer. I'll try to get them posted some day.

Eric
Jason

Post by Jason »

If you had any plans to put your action into production, Eric, I'd say back-to-back 600s makes for good advertising copy!

I've seen photos of a prototype on one of the benchrest boards, but I'd love to see everything assembled.

JJ
Slo cat

Post by Slo cat »

Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

The full results are up on the USA shooting web site now. http://www.usashooting.com/results.php