Night versus day

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

shooterone

Night versus day

Post by shooterone »

I am just getting into bowling pin shooting at 25 yds. I do all my practice during the morning and afternoon hours and I do quite well and am improving at practice. BUT when I get to the actual shooting at the tournaments my scores drop like you cant beleive. Most of the shooting at the tournaments is at night under artificial lighting. Am I doing something wrong? Does it make that much difference between shooting at night versus day? Can I be shooting lower at night than at day? Any info will be apperciated. Thanks.
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

Fundamentals don't change, no matter what the target is or how far away it is. Light dosen't change them either but your eyes may be causing the problem you report. The conditions under whitch you are competing may be distracting you and causing you execute the shots poorly. Try to identify the source of the problem and modify your training sessions to come as close to match conditions as you can. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

If this is the bowling pin shooting I am familiar with, it requires rapid target acquisition. If you are shooting iron sights, the artificial lighting may cause you to lose focus on the front sight, resulting in poor sight alignment. With a red dot changes in lighting and background from your practice range can affect your ability to quickly and accurately acquire the target. As Bill suggests, try to practice under conditions close to match conditions.