Any 10M in San Antonio area?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Finelld

Any 10M in San Antonio area?

Post by Finelld »

I am trying to find any 10M air pistol or rifle activity in the San Antonio, TX area. It is difficult for me to travel distances for 10M activities.

If there are no local activities, is there anyone locally who might be interested in starting a local group?

Best Regards,

David Finell
Misny

Post by Misny »

Looks like there is a vacuum that needs filling in San Antonio. If I were going to try to get something started I'd contact the Texas State Rifle Association first. Other options might be the American Legion. You might also try to contact someone connected with the U.S. Air Force Shooting Team. There used to be some shooting facilities at Lackland AFB, I believe. In my limited experience, just like in the movie..."If you build it, they will come." It really doesn't take a whole lot to build a good indoor range. There might be someone in the area that has an old barn that they would let you use. You can also start by shooting outdoors. Bullseye pistol shooters are a good pool of potential air pistol shooters and highpower rifle shooters for air rifle. Once one or two give it a try and find out how much air gun helps them imrove their scores in their primary sport, the word starts to spread.
Jack Milchanowski

Post by Jack Milchanowski »

David

You might try contacting Mr. Paul Messina. I believe he is in the Boerne, TX area. He is quite active in shooting and fun to shoot with. A search on Tgt Talk should find his email quickly.

Come see us in the woods!
Jack
JeffinTX

10M SAn Antonio

Post by JeffinTX »

I don't know about 10m airgun, but you may have better luck with smallbore. the annual TSRA smallbore prone state championships are shot at San Antonio in Oct, BTW.
pmessina

Post by pmessina »

Thanks for the great endorsement Jack!! I shoot 10m at my own outdoor range in my back yard. It has an electronic target carrier, etc and is a good range and an easy range to build. Unfortunately there is not much that is available in the SATX area for 10m. The facilities at Lackland were available until recently to civilian personnel but as I understand it, those facilities are no longer available unless you have a military identification card. I will check and see if I can sign in a guest as I do have a military ID but I cannot guarantee anything. Drop me a line at paul.messina@us.army.mil and perhaps we can figure something out together.

There are several high schools with 10m ranges but I am not sure if they are open for public use. Also, Bass Pro Shop has an indoor shooting range and this is where I practice standard pistol. The range has lanes that are 15 yards and 30 yards with electronic target carriers so you can shoot at any distance subject to the lane limitation. For $100 per year you can shoot all you want. This is the cheapest deal in town and, unlike a few of the other ranges in town, you can use your own ammunition.

Paul
Finelld

Post by Finelld »

Thanks for all of the support and feedback.

Paul, I sent you an email.

I am really looking for a group of people locally who have similar interests in 10M air rather than just a place to shoot. Sharing activities with people make them fun and is better for skills improvement.

I have a range in my living room that almost meets ISSF spec in dimension but is a bit wanting in the lighting category. I did fabricate a very nice wall hanging illuminated pellet trap to provide almost visually identical target as what I have seen in ISSF TV videos. This is where I practice most often.

My dream is to have an air shooting venue that is a family friendly environment similar to a bowling alley but for air pistol and rifle. Where people can sit and converse with refreshments and engage in friendly target shooting competitions similar to darts in a pub. A friendly place to introduce anyone to these fantastic sports. All in a SAFE manner of course.

Best Regards,

David Finell
Misny

Post by Misny »

I wish you all the best. I hope your idea comes to fruition. It will take some money, time and energy. It takes someone to do all the work and not get discouraged when no help is forthcoming. It takes someone to get the word out and keep it out. It takes someone who is willing to run the matches even if it means not being able to participate. I hope you are that someone.