Model 41 selection?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

GaryO

Model 41 selection?

Post by GaryO »

I have been blessed enough to be able to purchase a Model 41 for my daughter at Christmas. My general questions would sort of fit into the selection catagory: New or used? What time frame of manufacture? Barrell length? Any bells or whistles? You see what I mean. Any help would be appreciated...
Gary
<><
Rover

Post by Rover »

With the new retail price of about $1300 I would say used is the way to go.

There were three barrels available: a long (about 71/2"), a sport barrel rarely seen, and a short (5 1/2"?).

If any International pistol is to be shot, you may NOT use the long barrel.

I like the longer sight radius on the longer barrel personally and the one I have is much more accurate from a machine rest than my short barrel.
2650 Plus

S&W M41

Post by 2650 Plus »

Midway has excellent versions of the long and the heavy sporter barrel equiped with a bomar type sight. However, if you feel she would be better off with the 5 1/2 barrel , I have one that is a spare that I do not use and can mail it to you if you can give me an address.. I like the idea of starting shooters off young. Good Shooting Bill Horton
6string

Post by 6string »

Hi Gary,
Used is the way to go! The original 41 came with a 7&3/8" barrel with detachable muzzle brake, and could be equipped with under barrel weights. There is a cut and index mark for the weights. These barrels were individually tested on a machine rest and had to shoot inside 1 MOA or they were scrapped. I don't know long they kept it up, but they don't test them any longer. I think these are the best barrels, although the 5" barrel with the extendable front sight is quite nice. Clark barrels are also excellent. They are purchased by Clark as rifled but unchambered S&W barrel blanks. The frame cuts are machined but Clark finishes the chambers and machines the optic mount.
The earliest frames not only had the cocking indicator, but lacked the scallop cuts one either side just behind the trigger, ( ie: where your trigger finger might contact) just like the old 1911 vs. the 1911A1. Only a few thousand were made. S&W lavished a lot of attention on these guns to make them the best. Triggers were fantastic and finish work is beautiful. (I've been harassed by other competitors because I like a nice blue job...) One improvement to consider is the slide hold open latch, which also has the ejector. One the older ones, the ejector is set further back than on the new ones. Replacing with a new part can give more positive ejection, should it pose a problem. So far, the value on used 41s is often less than the new ones, but that will probably change given the direction of collector values for other S&Ws. $800 on a nice original is a good investment. If you shop around, you could probably do better.

Happy Shooting!
Jim
GaryO

Bill Horton

Post by GaryO »

I have no way of contacting you...GaryO
garyo732@att.net
BTW: new 41's sell here in Missouri for $922.00
tenex

Post by tenex »

Hi Gary,
I would buy a new one. My opinion is that the probability of getting a gun with reliability or accuracy issues is probably higher with a used gun, even though they may be "better". Nobody sells a gun they like.

Now, it you like the original finish, that's a horse of another color. I have a 3rd gen gun (1999?) and I like the brushed finish but that's me. And to be fair, I'm not all that happy with the original short barrel (slight incomplete finish marks, really picking nits), but I never had any reliability issues with it.

I eventually bought a new long barrel, I like it because it's lighter, but most of my friends have the short barrel. I like having an extra barrel, something to experiment with without taking the gun out of service for shooting matches.

Just my $.02, good luck,
Steve.
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

The 5 1/2 barrel is on the way. 5 to 8 days by snail mail. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Billy

model 41

Post by Billy »

I have 5 model 41 barrels i am looking to sell. Various lengths, balance weights, muzzle brakes, one with a scope
william_douglas_chapman@yahoo.com