Good ways to accurise a hunting rifle?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Senator Vitaman guest

Good ways to accurise a hunting rifle?

Post by Senator Vitaman guest »

So basicly, for now all I've got as far as .22s go are low-end hunting rifles. What are good ways to accurize these? I'd also like to make it easier to shoot better, any good ways to do that? Finally, is there any way to attach barrel weights to a hunting rifle? I'd like it to balance better.

Post by Guest »

Often one of the limiting factors for a mass-produced sporting rifle is the trigger. A rough, heavy, inconsistent pull increases the chance of the barrel no longer pointing where you want when the bullet exits.

If you want to use a sporter for Prone/3-P it would need aperture sights. The vestigal open sights on some rifles simply won't allow a sufficiently precise aim. That said if the rifle is 'scoped you could enter the Any Sights class. If not, then fit a 'scope with good lenses, accuarte adjustments, and sufficient magnification.

Next would be the stock, sporters have skinny stocks. Partly this is for aesthetics, but also to reduce weight as the rifle has to be carried in the field. Skinny is not conducive to a solid hold, and consistent aim. Some may be improved by bedding - a layer of metal repair epoxy between wood and action to ensure no movement during recoil.

Tim S

Exeter UK
Rover

Post by Rover »

I'm assuming your are not planning to do any target shooting. If you are, just buy a used low end target rifle.

If you just want to enhance the accuracy of the rifles you have, here are three cheap ways to do it :

1) Buy a peep sight (Williams?) or a scope.
2) Test a selection of ammo. Some will shoot a lot better than others.
3) Work on your trigger.

To add weight, just hog out the stock under the barrel and epoxy some lead in the hole.

Post by Guest »

It's already got a scope, so that's covered. I'll be using it for competition, just not a normal target shooting competition (can't afford a good target gun right now)

Trigger's been lightened, will have to look in to cost of glass or epoxy. I heard once you apply that you can't take the rifle apart for cleaning, is that true?
RobStubbs

made up words

Post by RobStubbs »

Senator Vitaman guest wrote:So basicly, for now all I've got as far as .22s go are low-end hunting rifles. What are good ways to accurize these? I'd also like to make it easier to shoot better, any good ways to do that? Finally, is there any way to attach barrel weights to a hunting rifle? I'd like it to balance better.
First thing is to determine which bits are the inaccurate bits - is it the gun or the shooter ? Test the gun off sandbags or better still a shooting vice. If that looks good then the problem is most likely at your end. A smooth trigger will help but equally you need to train and improve your own ability. Remembering to practice the types of shooting you will be doing out in the field, i.e. standing, prone, kneeling etc.

Rob.
talladega

Post by talladega »

bedding the stock isnt too expensive. we did it on my dads gun last winter. we bought this stuff: http://www.championshooters.com/store/p ... 280&page=1

I looked on google and found a website that had a guide on how to bed a rifle. it was like $10 or $15 and was really good.

yes you can take the barrel out of the stock after bedding it.

what bedding it does is it put a layer of metal epoxy in the stock so when you mount the barrel in the stock no part of the stock touches wood. wood can flex from temperature change and stuff while the epoxy wont so it strengthens the stock alot.

someone correct me if I am wrong on this.
Finelld

Post by Finelld »

After the bedding of the stock is done you want to float the barrel if possible. Ideally you should be able to slide a dollar bill along the length of the barrel without it binding.

Best regards,

Dave F.