Questions about upcoming match

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

bmeyer

Questions about upcoming match

Post by bmeyer »

Hello all,

I am preparing for my first truly large scale 50m prone match and I'm hoping to get some insight about what I will encounter. I am trying to put together a plan for the entire match from a few days before to the end. I will be flying down the day before the official training day. I assume that checking in and any equipment control will occure on the OTR day, but I have not been able to find any information about the OTR itself, i.e. how much time will I be able to be on the range, any other special things I may need to do during that time,etc. I know I will have to spend some time to go over the electronic targets and such, but I would like to have some idea about how much I might be able to shoot so I can set aside ammunition accordingly. I'm sure I can work out the schedual for the remaining two days of the match once I'm physically there, I just don't want to go down there unprepared for the first day. I have been going through the rules and procedures, so I will be well prepared for what I have to do and what to expect in that respect. I would appreciate any insight and past experiences you might have in similar situations. Thanks

Brendan
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

Brendan,
I can't tell from your post what match it is that you are speaking of. However, if you will contact the match organizers, they will be happy to tell you the answers to your questions.

Having said that, I can tell you how it works at USAS Nationals. 50 meter disciplines usually have two hours to train. That is from the time the range officer calls you to the line until you must be off the line and have your point cleaned up so the next relay can practice. So, you do not have the full two hours for "trigger time."

Hope you enjoy your first match. Range officers and line officers are more than happy to help you with figuring out the electronic targets.

Marc
bmeyer

Post by bmeyer »

Marc, thanks for the reply. The match is the upcoming "champion of champions" match in Ft. Benning in September. With your response, I will plan on an additional 100 rounds for that day to be safe, and then find something to do with the rest of the day. From information I've found from previous events there, I imagine there will be a release with the squadding a few days out. I have been competing in a number of smaller matches, but I am really looking forward to this one. I think I should be able to learn a lot. Thanks again

Brendan
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

Brendan,
There are plenty things to do around Ft Benning. They have just renovated the Infantry Museum. I've always enjoyed visiting this museum on past visits and hope that time allows for a visit of the new renovation on my next trip out.

At most Nationals and World Cups, the squadding doesn't appear until noon the day before the match. This should give you a chance to see which spot you are squadded on and get sighted in on that target.

Hope you enjoy the match.
Marc
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

bmeyer wrote:Marc, thanks for the reply. The match is the upcoming "champion of champions" match in Ft. Benning in September. With your response, I will plan on an additional 100 rounds for that day to be safe, and then find something to do with the rest of the day. From information I've found from previous events there, I imagine there will be a release with the squadding a few days out. I have been competing in a number of smaller matches, but I am really looking forward to this one. I think I should be able to learn a lot. Thanks again

Brendan
Brendan,
Don't make the mistake of putting down tons of lead the day before the match, that is counterproductive. Use the time to sight in, get familiar with the range layout and get an idea of the wind. When I go to a match and train the day before I normally just put 20 or so rounds down, especially when it's the day after travelling any distance. Remember you will be tired and you want to keep yourself fresh for the match itself. I guess the other tip is to allow yourself plenty of time for equipment control before you train. It may be busy and/or you may have small issues to pvercome when the test your kit, so be prepared for it and allow yourself the time to solve any such issues.

Good luck and enjoy it !

Rob.