Who has the best service for shooting supplies ?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

MontereyJack

Who has the best service for shooting supplies ?

Post by MontereyJack »

I have been dealing with I guest the two big suppliers of this kind of guns and equipment. Champions choice and champion shooter supply both of these companies are not real helpful in answering questions in section of equipment. Service is not great with give me the part number and see if they have it. I am new so some I do not know what I do not know. I do not have anyone to mentor me in 10m air rifle. I am starting from zero so I am spending big bucks to get outfitted. Any other suppier out there that with take the time to answer questions and maybe guideance on equipment selection.
Oz

Post by Oz »

Our host, Pilkington Competition Equipment, has some extremely helpful employees. Scott Pilkington is generally recognized as a top subject matter expert and also does an excellent job promoting competitive shooting.

Don't hesitate to reach out to them and see if they might be of assistance to you. They've been wonderful to me.

Oz
ol coach

Post by ol coach »

DO NOT SPEND BIG MONEY without first going to matches, clubs, reading, etc. You can outfit yourself pretty decently with used gear for starters. Again, find clubs or coaches to talk to FIRST! All these places that deal in new gear will try to sell you - guess what - new gear. It's in their DNA. Also, they might not have much used stuff in stock.
Keep asking questions here, and use the search function, and you'll get a wealth of information.
Misny

Post by Misny »

I just got into international air rifle last year. I think that asking questions of vendors isn't the best course of action. I learned by asking questions on this site and observing and asking questions at matches. You need to decide if you want top of the line equipment now or would settle for used. If you want the best equipment and money is no object then buy new from whichever vendor has the stuff you need. If you will settle for used equipment then you can check out this website and local clubs. You will need a rifle, shooting glove, pellets, pellet shaker, something to hold your pellet shaker on a stand. If you will be shooting on paper targets you'll need a scope, scope stand and a stop watch or electric timer. You'll need a button-up shootng jacket. If you have a place to practice, you might want to get a pellet trap and targets.

If you go first class, then you'll want shooting pants and boots. For top of the line jacket and pants you will want them custom made. If you get a top notch rifle then it will be one of the new ones which operate off of compressed air. Feinwerkbau, Anshutz and Steyr all all good. If you get a pre-compressed air rifle you will want an aluminum scuba diving tank with a K valve. You will then need an adapter so you can fill your rifle's compressed air cylinder.

If you don't want to sink a lot of money into a rifle, then you might want to buy a used rifle that pumps up with one stroke of a side lever. The FWB 300 and 600 series are not overly expensive. They shoot as accurately as a pre-compressed air rifle, but it does take some effort to cock them 60 + times in a match.

So, what are your thoughts? Do you want to buy new and state of the art or want to ease into the sport?
MontereyJack

Post by MontereyJack »

Used equipment other than here is not an option. There is not air rifle matches held around here (California ) I bought an Anschutz 8002 air rifle with 7020 sight set I would have upgraded to the 9003 if someone would have told be the features I will end up buying anyways for example the 9003 comes with a hard case and I spent $150 for a hard case for the 8002 that little fact closed the price gap between the two rifles. I shoot in my back yard have set up a 10m range. I want to get all the equipment so if a match ever comes around and I can shoot above 550/600 I might try it
Oz

Post by Oz »

MontereyJack wrote:I want to get all the equipment so if a match ever comes around and I can shoot above 550/600 I might try it
Do, or do not. There is no try. JUST KIDDING!

Most ISSF Air Pistol competitions will let a rifle guy on the line! They just require a different target and some different scoring capabilities (so give 'em a little notice first), but don't let the lack of an advertised 10m Air Rifle match stop you. Call the Air Pistol matches in your area. Most clubs would LOVE to have you join and shoot AR with them.

If you were in the area of our club, that would certainly be the case.

Oz
Zen

why ask advice if you've already bought?

Post by Zen »

Sounds like you are enamored by the equipment, not by the process. Don't fool yourself into thinking that you MIGHT try a match, but if only you are shooting some abnormal above par score for beginner. START NOW, even by shooting postal matches. Shoot at home & turn in the score, or send the target back to a scorer. We need people IN THE GAME NOW, not just thinking maybe to try the game.
MontereyJack

Post by MontereyJack »

I looked and the California state air rifle shoot is Nov 14th and 15th. You do need the equipment to compete right. No one is going to lend you a jecket or a spotting scope. So Zen getting the equipment is part of the process.
Misny

Post by Misny »

MontereyJack wrote:Used equipment other than here is not an option. There is not air rifle matches held around here (California ) I bought an Anschutz 8002 air rifle with 7020 sight set I would have upgraded to the 9003 if someone would have told be the features I will end up buying anyways for example the 9003 comes with a hard case and I spent $150 for a hard case for the 8002 that little fact closed the price gap between the two rifles. I shoot in my back yard have set up a 10m range. I want to get all the equipment so if a match ever comes around and I can shoot above 550/600 I might try it
You don't have to spend $150 to get a good hard case. After seeing what hard cases the shooters in my area use, I bought what they have. It is a PLANO Airglide. I don't think that there is a better case for protecting my air rifle, smallbore rifle, scoped rifles, etc. and I can keep the sights on the rifle when I transport it. I think I paid around $35.00-$40.00 for it at Dick's Sporting Goods.

You might spend a year or more in your backyard training before you hit that 550 average score. After you do that, you may have trouble duplicating it in competition. You should train and compete to improve your shooting ability. That being said, I did train for a couple of months before I shot my first international air rifle match. I am no where near where you want to be score wise. I'll just be working my way through the classes. Having competed extensively in pistol matches over the decades, I found out right away that I was going to lose many more matches than I won. I had to set my ego aside. I just like competing with myself, whether at a match or training at home. It has always been more satisfying for me to shoot a personal best and lose a match, than to shoot poorly and win one.

I use a Konus spotting scope and it is very good, although not as durable as a scope that costs 3-4X it's price. You can get one from Champion Shooter's Supply.

It seems that you want the best equipment you can get right now. That is great if you can swing it. Just start making your list and find out who carries what. You will probably have to get some things from different vendors. Do some searching of this site for vendors of jackets, pants, boots, etc.
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

Hi, I started Air Rifle a few months ago. It isn't necessary to spend big bucks, although quality always holds its value. If you go the other route try this:

1. Buy Ways of the Rifle 2009 for about $60.
2. Pick up a used fwb300s/601/603 from Jim E. It will hold its value fine if you want to upgrade.
3. Get some pellets and targets.
4. If you want to get fancy, get a glove for about $50 or at the hardware store to get started for about $20.
5. Buy/build a pellet trap, $20.

Do it for 6 mos. Then figure out what you want to do. I shoot my fwb almost every day, but there are no matches here either, so I see at as practice time for small bore.

I like to feel that I earn top-o-the-line equipment before I get it. Not until I am hitting the 8 or 9 ring consistently will I "upgrade" from the fwb to a more adjustable stock.
bummer7

Post by bummer7 »

[quote="MontereyJack"]I looked and the California state air rifle shoot is Nov 14th and 15th. You do need the equipment to compete right. No one is going to lend you a jecket or a spotting scope. So Zen getting the equipment is part of the process.[/quote]

MontereyJack,

Let's talk an see if I can help out here. Our club is hosting the state AR match. While I probably can't help with outfitting you with a custom jacket, pants, shoes, etc., I think I can help with some of the equipment such as a borrowed rifle, spotting scope, and maybe a jacket (depending on size of course).

You can pm me or give me a phone number I can call you at.

-s
bummer7

Post by bummer7 »

[quote="MontereyJack"]I looked and the California state air rifle shoot is Nov 14th and 15th. You do need the equipment to compete right. No one is going to lend you a jecket or a spotting scope. So Zen getting the equipment is part of the process.[/quote]

MontereyJack,

Let's talk an see if I can help out here. Our club is hosting the state AR match. While I probably can't help with outfitting you with a custom jacket, pants, shoes, etc., I think I can help with some of the equipment such as a borrowed rifle, spotting scope, and maybe a jacket (depending on size of course).

You can pm me or give me a phone number I can call you at.

-s