where\how to get started - total newbie with rimfires

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

gidaeon

where\how to get started - total newbie with rimfires

Post by gidaeon »

So I'm totally new to all this and overwhelmed. I own centerfire and rimfire firearms, that I greatly enjoy. I've taken cpl\ccw courses in different states I've lived in, but never been in a league or competition. I want to LEARN how to shoot well consistently and not just benchrest! I want to learn to use irons well. I am well versed in safety, but not in making nice groups or bullseyes. I live in SE Michigian btw. I don't know what local leagues or groups I might be able to join.

For now I wish to train with my rimfire pistol or rifles as that's budget friendly. I don't own anything fancy or 'true' target grade tools though. I have a Ruger mkIII bull, and a few Marlin .22's rifles that are all far more accurate than me for now.

My questions is where\how can I put those to work in learning good skill. Some place or group that is good with newbies. Since I have no real training, competitive experience ect., what do I do before getting involved in a league, and if so - which kind? Where do guys learn to shoot besides hitting the range by themselves or with a buddy?

Thanks.
bmeyer

Post by bmeyer »

gidaeon,

You are already on the right track, as learning how to shoot well with your rimfire rifles can give you a multitude of opportunities when it comes to competitions, and can also carry over to centerfires aswell. I was in a similar position just a few short months ago. I am 25 and just started shooting at the end of April. A big thing for me was to read, read, read. There is a lot of information and pictures on sites like this one that can help you build your basic forms. I was lucky enough to find an air rifle club I could go to to pratice my positions, but 90% of my practice over the last 4 months has been dry-firing(with snap caps) at home. Another big thing for me was to take pictures of myself while in position and compare it to examples online and in books. A big part in how consistant you are on paper is how consistant you are at getting in position. Start by researching prone and practice it. With proper practice you will see your scores increase substantially. Also keep an eye out for local matches that you can participate in. Regardless of your skill level, going to matches will help you learn alot by just watching and talking to other shooters. Just take it one step at a time and most importantly, HAVE FUN. Good Luck
Last edited by bmeyer on Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Misny

Post by Misny »

You live in an area that is a hotbed of bullseye pistol activity and your Ruger would be a good gun with which to compete. Join a local rifle and pistol club that has active competitive shooting programs. You should be able to find out about the clubs through local gun shops or the NRA...you are a member of the NRA aren't you? Once you join a club, you will be put on the right track by members. Oh, I almost forgot, plan now to attend the CMP's Small Arms Firing School for pistol next year.

Post by Guest »

Yes, I'm a nra member. Is one of the leagues or competitions more friendly to newbies than the others? I want to join something where I will be able to get lots of help, constructive criticism, ect., to properly learn since I can't realistically compete at all yet.

Its good to know I can at least start something using my current rimfire pistol. I will try and search for local clubs that meet nearby then.

Post by Guest »

Look at the NRA website for Basic Rifle or Basic Pistol classes. Yes, it's real basic, but the better instructors will also know what clubs to join to further your interests.

Post by Guest »

Try www.michrpa.com This is our state association. www.odcmp.org is another one. Lots of shooting going on around here. Try looking for local clubs that is a good place to start. I was in your position about 6 years ago, but got plenty of help from some club members and was soon on my way. I just wish I had started about 20 years ago when my eyes were better.

John Luitink
Misny

Post by Misny »

Anonymous wrote:Yes, I'm a nra member. Is one of the leagues or competitions more friendly to newbies than the others? I want to join something where I will be able to get lots of help, constructive criticism, ect., to properly learn since I can't realistically compete at all yet.

Its good to know I can at least start something using my current rimfire pistol. I will try and search for local clubs that meet nearby then.
You just have to get past the worry about starting a new activity and having to deal with total strangers. In my experience, the vast majority of shooters are friendly and helpful, especially to new folks. There are the few who have "issues", but they are in the distinct minority. The other folks more than make up for them. Some clubs have some training that is mandatory for safety reasons. If you get real lucky, you may find someone who is a good coach who will take you under his or her wing. Jump in the water is fine!