Which Ultra Dot?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

updeerhunter08

Which Ultra Dot?

Post by updeerhunter08 »

Hi everyone, I am currently shooting a Springfield 1911 trophy match with a standard 30mm tube ultra dot. I just purchased a Springfield Custom 1911 and thought I should get a new scope. I am currently happy with my old scope, but I was thinking I would upgrade to a match dot. Do any of you use them? Do you like them? I have never used a scope with many M.O.A. dot sizes so I don't know what to expect. From what everyone says I would assume I would love one. Any advice, likes or dislikes I will greatly apprecitate. Thanks
davekp

ultradot

Post by davekp »

I have a 30 mm Matchdot on my 1911. If I were to do it again, I would get the plain 1". The extra small dot isn't useful to me. Also, good mount rings are much more plentiful for a 1".
little_doodie

Post by little_doodie »

I have a matchdot and I think a basic dot would be fine...
I use my matchdot on a .22 hi standard and love it.
Bought a Millet multidot for my 1911 and it seems to work well but it does not come with a polarizer and is not as bright as the matchdot.
unfortunately I have not located a polarizer for it yet either.
If I were to do it again I would get the ultradot 1".
its lighter and I never go bigger than 4 min anyway.
Misny

Post by Misny »

I have 30mm UD's on my hunting guns. I have 1" UD's on my bullseye pistols, except for one. I thought I'd try a 4 dot UD. I've used it for a couple of years and now I only use the 4 moa dot setting. If it were me, I'd just stick with the 1" UD for bullseye shooting for the reasons others gave.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Here's what "The Man" has to say:

http://www.nygord-precision.com/redot.html

I use the 1" Ultradot myself and I don't think it's the greatest optic I've ever owned.

I've put three BSA red dots on spring air rifles, which are notoriously destructive of scopes, with satisfaction, and they only cost me $20 apiece.
mikeschroeder

Re: ultradot

Post by mikeschroeder »

davekp wrote:I have a 30 mm Matchdot on my 1911. If I were to do it again, I would get the plain 1". The extra small dot isn't useful to me. Also, good mount rings are much more plentiful for a 1".
Me too, me too. I have the 30mm Ultradot on my Ruger Mk II, and the 30mm rings were about $20.00 more than the 1 inchers. There is a LOT more choice in the 1 inch variety.

I shoot irons now anyway.

Mike
Wichita KS
Misny

Post by Misny »

Rover wrote:I've put three BSA red dots on spring air rifles, which are notoriously destructive of scopes, with satisfaction, and they only cost me $20 apiece.
IMHO the BSA, NcStar and othe cheap red dots aren't in the same class as the Ultra Dots. Put one of the cheapos on a slide mount of a 1911 and see how long it lasts! The windage and elevation adjustments aren't repeatable and don't have clicks. They don't come with polarizers, which many find invaluable.

They might be fine for your cheap bb gun or pellet gun, but they shouldn't be considered for serious competition or hunting purposes.