Pellet Test 01 - Vogel (x3) vs RWS Hobby

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Oz

Pellet Test 01 - Vogel (x3) vs RWS Hobby

Post by Oz »

In the spirit of pellet testing, I did my own limited test. I ordered 3 tins of Vogel's to see how my 'beloved' RWS Hobby pellets compared.

The pistol is a Steyr LP10. I shot three 10-shot groupings. I refilled my cylinder at the beginning of each set of 3 groupings so every group had the same air pressure each time.

The last thing I did which is a bit unusual is that I put the three 10-shot groups into one artificially composited 30 shot grouping. Not the same as a true 30 shot group, but I still found it interesting.

My beloved Hobby.

Vogel Orange - The Vogel practice pellet. What I noticed is that overall, the Orange is a tighter 10-shot group than the Hobby. But the composited 30-shot grouping is about the same size.

This one really surprised me. Maybe it shouldn't have. Those are significantly tighter than the Hobby or Vogel Orange. Even the 30-shot composite is much smaller.

The picture's are worth 1000 words. You see that in the 3rd 10-shot group, there was one flyer. In any other circumstance except a scientific random sampling of pellets, I would NOT have used that pellet when it really counted. for that reason, I did a little Photoshop work as an option in the composite as an alternative.

My LP10's test card was shot with 4.48. I don't know why I didn't buy any Vogel 4.48's. I'm going to continue this test and will do so with Vogel Green 4.48 as well as some R10's and Meisterklugen. This test sufficiently filled this Saturday. I'll get the other pellets ordered and continue the testing.

To this point, I'm obviously impressed with the Vogel Green 4.49's and am eating my words. Once I test the 4.48's, it looks like my pellet purchasing habits will change significantly.

Oz
Last edited by Oz on Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paw080

Post by paw080 »

Hi Ozzy, did you buy the Vogel orange pellets? You called the Vogel yellow
practice pellets; they are not, they're lighter weight regular pellets. I'm
curious how the orange pellets would have done. You have your work cut out for your self,
you also should see how 4.51mm headsize Vogels group too.

Tony G
theliberal

Nicely done!

Post by theliberal »

That was an impressive test. If I estimate correctly, the Hobby and the yellow Vogels make a hole about 3 pellet diameters across. That makes the hole go across two scoring rings. The green Vogels at 4.5 mm appear to have the same potential but with lower probability, and the 4.49 mm are TIGHT. With your gun, of course. So the question is cost/benefit ratio. For a newbie like me, the Hobby has an equal probability of giving me a higher score or a lower one, so paying the extra price for a finer pellet is not in my best interest, in the pure sense of scores. A majorly accurate pellet is really only a benefit for shooters who consistently score within the 9-ring (how consistently is a statistical question which I am unqualified to answer). And also, of course, there will be not-yet-experts who may insist on using the better pellets in order to KNOW that whatever they shot is what is recorded on the paper. This may well be in the shooter's best interest, ultimately but, again, the cost/benefit question is still open.

Awesome experiment.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I don't know why you're wasting your time with these silly pellet tests.

You blew a whole Saturday that you could have spent practicing.
Oz

Post by Oz »

paw080 wrote:Hi Ozzy, did you buy the Vogel orange pellets? You called the Vogel yellow practice pellets; they are not, they're lighter weight regular pellets. I'm curious how the orange pellets would have done. You have your work cut out for your self, you also should see how 4.51mm headsize Vogels group too.
AAAH! You're right! What I bought are the Vogel Orange, not Yellow! I'll change my original post and correct a few typo's I spotted as well. I'll certainly get a tin of the 4.51's when I buy the 4.48's. Thanks for pointing that out.
Oz

Re: Nicely done!

Post by Oz »

theliberal wrote:For a newbie like me, the Hobby has an equal probability of giving me a higher score or a lower one, so paying the extra price for a finer pellet is not in my best interest, in the pure sense of scores.
There was a discussion I was in that eventually lead to this point. I also said that statistically, it's just as likely that a bad pellet could give you a better score as easily as it could, a worse score. I was refuted however... now I didn't do well in my stats class in college, but what I learned is that since the scoring rings are round, the odds are more in favor of a worse score.

But I agree with you that unless you're keeping most of your holes inside the 9-ring, probably statistically negligible.

Now, since shooting is 90% mental, there is something to be said about knowing that everything you use, is the absolute best it could possibly be.

At this point, I need to justify the extra $ for better pellets.

Hobby = $5.00/tin, shipped = 1¢ per shot
Vogel = ~$12.50/tin, shipped = 2.7¢ per shot

I shoot 500 pellets per week or 26,000 pellets per year.

Hobby = $260/year or $21.66 per month
Vogels = $650/year or $54.16 per month

Oz
Oz

Post by Oz »

Rover wrote:I don't know why you're wasting your time with these silly pellet tests.

You blew a whole Saturday that you could have spent practicing.
Ha, Ha, Ha. Very funny Rover. For anyone that doesn't get it; It's all thanks to Rover for starting this recent flurry of pellet testing in the first place ;-)

Oz
talladega

Post by talladega »

This is a very good thread! I knew the pellets could make a difference just like the different .22 ammunition does for rifles, but didn't realize it makes that big of a difference.

What kind of rest are you using to ensure that your gun does not move at all?

Will cleaning the air rifle and refilling the cylinder make a difference?

I will watch this closely.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Glad someone is actually finding out for themself instead of depending on obviously unreliable sources.

Now you have to buy a couple of sleeves of that "lot" from Pilk to tide you over.

Have fun with more tests, but I don't think you're going to find anything better. You may want to try another lot of Hobby pellets before giving up on your true love.

Confidently use up your other pellets for practice and shoot for group.