Refocussing and distraction control

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Nick_Burman

Refocussing and distraction control

Post by Nick_Burman »

I believe this subject has been discussed over and over but... In another topic forum member RobStubbs mentioned practising refocussing and distraction control. How is this done, are there exercises for that? I have my own techniques to "bring me back" but I would like to see more.

Cheers NB
2650 Plus

Mental control

Post by 2650 Plus »

Please take a look at Lanny Bashams work in this field," With winning in mind" would be a good start. I personally believe that there is an emotional intensity level at which my performance is under best control. If I have too great a level of arrousal things just dont work right. The same applies if my intensity level is not high enough. The later results in careless execution of the shot sequence, The former in random thoughts interfering with the sequence and a less steady hold. I trained to use a method of adjustment that brings the intensity of my emotions into the range where my best shots occur. To come down I use what I call thinking pleasant thoughts. I think of a good joke and laugh. a pretty bird flying through the air. Anything that does not pose a threat to me or my ego. For the lazy effort I will challenge my self by looking at my most serious competitors target and make up my mind that I am going to exceed the score on his / her target on my next shot/string. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

"Up downs"

Shoot a shot. Get out of position, and walk away. Come back and get into position, and soot another shot.

You not only have to "refocus" every time, but gain confidence in your inner position.

If you want to stay in position, have someone distract you, then use your "pre-shot routine" to get back into the game. You may find it best to dry fire a couple shots before live firing.
RobStubbs

Re: Refocussing and distraction control

Post by RobStubbs »

Nick_Burman wrote:I believe this subject has been discussed over and over but... In another topic forum member RobStubbs mentioned practising refocussing and distraction control. How is this done, are there exercises for that? I have my own techniques to "bring me back" but I would like to see more.

Cheers NB
For me it boils down to training and having absolute confidence in your own ability. You need to focus 100% on each and every shot. That gives you the building blocks of your shooting. In your training you should be training visualisation - i.e. mentally replaying a perfect shot, resulting in a bull. Again, you then have another tool upon which to pull upon, when required. So if you get distracted, by a poor shot or another distraction, then either take a short rest, walk away and come back, refocus and run through the visualisation, or just run through the visualisation until you feel calm and back in control.

Just like Bill I have used a calming technique of thinking about somewhere peaceful and tranquill - a woodland clearing full of bluebells worked for me. My only problem with that is that it can be too far removed from shooting and picking up the gun again can re-initiate the nerves - unless you can incorporate the self belief and confidence etc.

Rob.
Steve Swartz as Guest

Post by Steve Swartz as Guest »

1. Single shot drills (as previously mentioned)
2. Don't forget an abort is a shot (when performing 1. above)
3. Effective Match Plan (when do you take your in-place breaks vs. sit-down breaks? What do you do during breaks?)
4. Effective Shot Plan (what do you do to focus/increase intensity as the shot release approaches?)

One key element frequently left out of 3. and 4. is the principle of distraction "management" (possible to do) vs. "control" (impossible to do).

Once you recognize you will always have both internal and external distractions, the key is how to manage them.

One technique is to "build in" (during recovery time from each shot; during breaks) some time for you to INDULGE in your distractions.

Instead of trying (futile) to "block out" that stray thought that keeps interfering (where am I going to eat lunch?)- instead, take the time to thin about it- potentially resolve it- so it goes away and doesn't come back.

The more you try to block a distraction, the harder it will try to come back.

Stop, roll around in it, resolve it if you can, then MOVE ON!

Steve
2650 Plus

Positive thoughts vs negative ones

Post by 2650 Plus »

My experience is that plesant thoughts block unpleasant thoughts. Positive thoughts block out negative thoughts and the emotions may be the most important of all. I am also convinced that controling your thought process is not only possible, controling your thought process is essential to winning in top competition, further more controling your emotions will allow you to compete at any level sucessfully. [You define sucess for your self] Master the fundamentals, approach each shot with what is for you the correct emotional pitch ,perform each act of firing the shot on a confident and positive manner and you will do well. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Steve Swartz as Guest

Good point Bill- while you can't really "suppress" or "block" those distracting thoughts directly, you can certainly fill the void with positive thoughts, as we have all stressed constantly over the years . . . and the issue of mental management is indeed critical.

Self hypnosis/autosuggestion has definite merit in this regard.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Steve Swartz as Guest wrote:Good point Bill- while you can't really "suppress" or "block" those distracting thoughts directly, you can certainly fill the void with positive thoughts, as we have all stressed constantly over the years . . . and the issue of mental management is indeed critical.
While waiting for the targets to be scored/patched/changed in the CF, StP & RF events I used to just sit down and (mentally) sing a long, complicated & extremely rude "rugby" song to myself. There was no way that I could think of anything negative, all my concentration was on the song.

At a pre-determined point in the scoring process, varying with the speed of the range crew but typically when the scorer finished the last target in the bay, I would stand up and try to visualise the next shot/series.

No matter how hard I tried I could not hold my concentration on visualisation for the whole time between series.
Steve Swartz as Guest

That's been my experience (not hte rugby song, the inability to stay on focus indefinitely).

That's why I recommend that you occasionally "indulge" in the "distractions" when you can.

If the tiger gets hungry it will find a way out of the cage . . .
2650 Plus

Distractions

Post by 2650 Plus »

I agree with David and Steve on the part where each mention the difficulte in maintaining concentration without rest periods for an entire competition. That is exactly why I take breaks and use jokes and pleasant thoughts { See my earlier post] to rest myself, regenerate my self and redecate myself to the task at hand. As soon as my concentration is re established I move back to the firing line and continue the match. The break is essential to continuing a high level of performance for me.I had no idea that other shooters were having the same problem. Good Shooting Bill Horton
RobStubbs

Re: Distractions

Post by RobStubbs »

2650 Plus wrote:I agree with David and Steve on the part where each mention the difficulte in maintaining concentration without rest periods for an entire competition. That is exactly why I take breaks and use jokes and pleasant thoughts { See my earlier post] to rest myself, regenerate my self and redecate myself to the task at hand. As soon as my concentration is re established I move back to the firing line and continue the match. The break is essential to continuing a high level of performance for me.I had no idea that other shooters were having the same problem. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Something's going wrong here, we're all agreeing ! ;)

It is re-assuring to hear that most people experience the same problems maintaining focus, and with similar methods to control and/or re-initiate it.

Rob.
David Levene

Re: Distractions

Post by David Levene »

2650 Plus wrote:I had no idea that other shooters were having the same problem.
When I first joined our National Squad I was surprised to find that our coach called all of his shooters together after every match and training session for a post-mortem. What was even more of a surprise was to find that even the top shooters at the time were admitting to the same problems I was experiencing and were therefore able to suggest ways of dealing with them.

There is no such thing as "original sin" ;-)
Misny

Post by Misny »

Have a written shot plan. Refer to it in-between shots. Do not emotionally react to individual shots or shot strings. Press on...Don't give up because of a bad shot or two.