concentration / how to recover from a 7 ?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Alexander

Post by Alexander »

It happens to the best. Georgina ("Gorgs") Geikie was leading in .22 sport pistol on first place in the just completed Oceanian Championships (I have no idea why an Englishwoman can start there? do you? can I start in the African championships because Tansania once was ours?).
But she lost her first place through the finals, shooting one 6.4 and one 6.5. Still, a brilliant performance!

http://www.ausshooting.org/Day1_Oceania.pdf
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Alexander wrote:... (I have no idea why an Englishwoman can start there? do you? can I start in the African championships because Tansania once was ours?)...
The event is fairly clearly headed '25 m Pistol Women Grand Prix'
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

Best advice, Dont post anything but tens and centers dont talk about bad shots, Dont even make an entry in your score book if the shot is not up to the best you can do. I'll quote Lanny Basham." I may have shot a nine once but I dont remember it. Start each one shot match with total confidence that your next shot will be right down the center of your target. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Spencer wrote:
Alexander wrote:... (I have no idea why an Englishwoman can start there? do you? can I start in the African championships because Tansania once was ours?)...
The event is fairly clearly headed '25 m Pistol Women Grand Prix'
Sorry, but something still seems strange to a non-Antipodean. These are Oceanian Continental Championships in the first place.

While one will respect the organizers' right to paste another, second label on their backs, does that mean there is dual scoring and ranking - one for the "Oceanian Championships", and one for the "Grand Prix" aspect? And if the latter were (!) the point, why were there no Asian competitors?

Thanks, Alexander
Last edited by Alexander on Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Getting off the thread origin, but
Alexander wrote:...While one will respect the organizers' right to smack another, second label on them, does that mean there is dual scoring and ranking - one for the "Oceanian Championships", and one for the "Grand Prix" aspect?...
Yes - and ISCD as well
Alexander wrote:...And if the latter were (!) the point, why were there no Asian competitors?
Thanks, Alexander
None entered - but at past Oceanias there have been teams from Singapore, Japan, Malaysia, etc.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Alexander wrote:
Sorry, but something still seems strange to a non-Antipodean. These are Oceanian Continental Championships in the first place.

While one will respect the organizers' right to smack another, second label on them, does that mean there is dual scoring and ranking - one for the "Oceanian Championships", and one for the "Grand Prix" aspect? And if the latter were (!) the point, why were there no Asian competitors?

Thanks, Alexander
Not quite sure what your problem with Europeans shooting in Oceanic events. It's obviously open to all nations - for whatever reason so I don't quite see the problem. Many championships are equally open to all, there's usually just an integral category for the best competitor from that nation / continent.

Anyway, another cracking performance from Gorgs, bearing in mind she can't even train the event in her home country.

Rob.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

RobStubbs wrote:Not quite sure what your problem with Europeans shooting in Oceanic events. It's obviously open to all nations - for whatever reason so I don't quite see the problem. Many championships are equally open to all, there's usually just an integral category for the best competitor from that nation / continent.

Anyway, another cracking performance from Gorgs, bearing in mind she can't even train the event in her home country.
The issue of foreign sports(wo)men being bought and carried in is a worldwide problem, not mine. It is notable in many sports in the Olympic Games and in World Championships, but also on national levels; look on the numerous foreigners who are shooting in the German DSB Bundesliga, and are only flying in for the actual competition event. Alas, they do not earn even a fraction of what footballers get...

As to Georgina, she hardly earns a penny from her sport (on the contrary!) and indeed is direly dependent upon donations and sponsorship. And I am glad that she got another high-level event to compete in.

My point was only that a continental championship ought to be exactly that, so foreign shooters should compete there "without ranking". The results lists which I have seen posted on the Australian federation's website, did not properly reflect that distinction.

Alexander
Philadelphia

Post by Philadelphia »

Alexander wrote:The issue of foreign sports(wo)men being bought and carried in is a worldwide problem, not mine. It is notable in many sports in the Olympic Games and in World Championships, but also on national levels; look on the numerous foreigners who are shooting in the German DSB Bundesliga, and are only flying in for the actual competition event.
I know I'm adding to getting off topic and I'm not sure if I fully understand what you're saying but athletic competition like this in general has a dual role.

One is to generate some small measure of national pride in having winning athletes. I think this is (or should be) fading fast as the world shrinks with increasingly better transportation technology.

Another is to develop the very best in human/machine technology and technique. Competition is the best way to keep advancing to hopefully ever better performances. Shooting coat for rifle might be a small example of this. Using a SCATT to try to figure out and perfect certain human factors might be another.

So . . . if the athletes come from who knows where to shoot for somewhere else, does it really matter? If they are "bought." so much the better -- at least top performers are always guaranteed a "sponsorship" that way?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Alexander wrote: The issue of foreign sports(wo)men being bought and carried in is a worldwide problem, not mine. It is notable in many sports in the Olympic Games and in World Championships, but also on national levels; look on the numerous foreigners who are shooting in the German DSB Bundesliga, and are only flying in for the actual competition event. Alas, they do not earn even a fraction of what footballers get...
The issue as you call it is to me a total non issue. I couldn't care less where people come from to shoot against me - if I'm good enough I'll beat them all, if not then I won't. I fail to see why people flying in to compete is a problem - good luck to them if they can afford to do it.
My point was only that a continental championship ought to be exactly that, so foreign shooters should compete there "without ranking". The results lists which I have seen posted on the Australian federation's website, did not properly reflect that distinction.

Alexander
As I mentioned there is typically a confined element to competitions such as these but I haven't a clue if there was in this case. I suggest however if you really have a problem with events such as these allowing all-comers, then you contact the organisers to complain.

Rob.
2650 Plus

Post subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

Start off by believing you are only going to shoot tens. Shoot your first shot in to the ten ring. shoot more tens. shoot another ten,and another ten always shoot tens . Good Shooting Bill Horton