Diet and shooting

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

New Shooter

Diet and shooting

Post by New Shooter »

I was at a competition recently and began discussing diet with other shooters. I heard the common balanced diet from most, but also a few extremes. For instance, one girl said she did not eat a thing the day of and day before a match. This made me wonder what others eat the day before and day of a match. All responses welcome, whether they are average of extreme. Thanks
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Try to maintain a balanced diet, three meals a day, with a fair amount of simple carbs (fruits and vegetables). Remember that shooting is an endurance sport. Up to three hours sometimes, and you will need the stored energy from the carbs. Big thing is to NOT make any large changes in your diet the day before, or day of the competition. Strive for low levels of sugar intake, and limit your caffeine (think many types of soda). Also, you may want to have a piece of fruit with you in your shooting kit to eat between standing and kneeling, to bring your energy level back up for the last stage. Contact your local school dietician for more info.
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

Eat light meals several times per day. One important DON'T. Eat a hamburger just before prone and your rifle will be bouncing .around at least one scoring ring more than you are used to seeing. Kneeling doesn't seem so bad but that may be because my kneeling is pretty stable.To repeat the above advice,from the previous poster, stay away from caffien during the match. Good Shooting Bill Horton
talladega

Post by talladega »

Well for me I was just competing at the Canadian Nationals in Calgary,AB last weekend/week and I ate very little. The saturday I had toast in the morning and didn't eat until I was done that day around 5 or 6 pm. For sunday I ate nothing till 6 or 7pm. For monday I didnt eat until 6pm. And tuesday I didn't eat about 5 or 6pm. And when I did eat supper on those days I was not extremely hungry even. I did not feel sick at all. During the day when I was shooting all I had was some water or gatorade and I felt great, not tired or anything like that.

As for how it affected my shooting. Well it didn't have a negative effect thats for sure. I beat my personal best match scores in Prone, 3-P and Air Rifle. I also came home with 4 gold, 3 silver and 1 bronze.
2650 Plus

Taladega

Post by 2650 Plus »

OOO RAH Good Shooting Bill Horton
I B Snacker

Post by I B Snacker »

Goes to show that everyones' system is different. You have to know what your body can take. For me, not eating will bring on light headedness and I'd keel over before the match ends!
Oh, and beware of the Gatorade, especially if you don't realize it has sugar in it & it'll give you the shakes.
talladega

Post by talladega »

I B Snacker wrote: Oh, and beware of the Gatorade, especially if you don't realize it has sugar in it & it'll give you the shakes.
I never actually drank the gatorade during the match. I always got it ready in our hotel to take with and I would forget it. For .22 I would have a few sips of water between targets. For air rifle I didnt have anything till I was done the match. Then I downed a bottle of gatorade. :)
AnthonyT

Post by AnthonyT »

Only thing I did when I was competing a lot was to cut out all caffine and lowered the processed sugar intake. Cutting out the caffine really seemed to help the hold and I did see a positive difference in scores. Also, eating more complex carbs seems to help in the endurance aspect and keeps you from getting that light headed feeling that simple carbs can give you. Also stay hydrated! Just what worked for me.
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

I generally have avoided caffeine coffee and drinks for years during and before competitions. With Smallbore and Air on the same day it is advisable to avoid any heavy eating and/or snacking between events---mebbe and apple. But as far as hydration is concerned, I cannot stress enough that you must maintain your proper levels. Water consumption is essential all during any competitions, specially during warm weather, sweat shirt and leather shooting coats. Your first clue is a gradual blurring of your vision through the rear peep and the front sight gradually starts to look like your trying to measure the mirage effect. With your water level decreasing the blood is not as thin and your heart is not getting enough oxygen to your eyes nor your brain. Water is for Hydration Gatorade is to replace lost body salts. Just an opinion, not for argumentation. "Doc"
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

What ever your meal choices are don't change them before a match. If you drink coffee, then drink coffee, it's not the right time to give caffine up. Same as the rest of your diet, if you're going to experiment do it outside of the actual competitions.

Probably more important for shooting is to eat something that you can digest easily, the last thing you want is gas, upset stomach or the trots. This can be easier said then done when shooting internationally.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Bob-Riegl wrote:I generally have avoided caffeine coffee and drinks for years during and before competitions. With Smallbore and Air on the same day it is advisable to avoid any heavy eating and/or snacking between events---mebbe and apple. But as far as hydration is concerned, I cannot stress enough that you must maintain your proper levels.<snip>
A note on hydration, is that you need to get yourself hydrated well before shooting. It's no good feeling thirsty and expecting that drink of water to help you during the match. It takes about 30 mins for the water you drink to have an effect, so make sure you're properly hydrated before hand, and just sip water as and when required.

As for caffeine, Richard makes a very important point - Don't change things before a match. If you want to cut out caffeine, do so for training sessions to see how it feels. Ditto for the diet.

The only extra thing I do at shooting comps is to plan my meal times around my competitions. I try and eat a couple of hours before shooting, wherever possible, and carefully eat between matches if I need to. Shooting feeling hungry and with a rumbling stomach is worse than eating some carefully chosen, small amount of food, between events.

Rob.
hank2222

Post by hank2222 »

RobStubbs wrote:
Bob-Riegl wrote:I generally have avoided caffeine coffee and drinks for years during and before competitions. With Smallbore and Air on the same day it is advisable to avoid any heavy eating and/or snacking between events---mebbe and apple. But as far as hydration is concerned, I cannot stress enough that you must maintain your proper levels.<snip>
A note on hydration, is that you need to get yourself hydrated well before shooting. It's no good feeling thirsty and expecting that drink of water to help you during the match. It takes about 30 mins for the water you drink to have an effect, so make sure you're properly hydrated before hand, and just sip water as and when required.

As for caffeine, Richard makes a very important point - Don't change things before a match. If you want to cut out caffeine, do so for training sessions to see how it feels. Ditto for the diet.

The only extra thing I do at shooting comps is to plan my meal times around my competitions. I try and eat a couple of hours before shooting, wherever possible, and carefully eat between matches if I need to. Shooting feeling hungry and with a rumbling stomach is worse than eating some carefully chosen, small amount of food, between events.

Rob.
i tell the kids that about makeing sure they have drink enough water before the match along with did they eat before the match also ..if not i go and eat them a small sandwich and make them eat right then and there help them ..i have one kid who has the case of the willys before the match and can not eat anything he drinks a bit of water mixed with the speical k drink mix powder in it ..but after it matchs are done with watch out he before a full blown teenage eating machine , .

.now it was bought up to me that i drink soda before a shooting match.. i replyed back to the young man who ask me the question .. i have very bad habits that you should not have and not pick up from me ..
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

If you want to get off Caffiene, they you need to do it for the season, not for the day of a match. If you haven't had caffiene withdrawl, you haven't truly lived. Cotton mouth, headache, and you really want everyone around you dead. I suggest that you keep eating your NORMAL diet, but start eating a healthier diet (3 taco's for lunch myself).

Mike
Wichita KS
Adele77

Post by Adele77 »

I keep a balanced diet year-round, but I usually avoid carbohydrates altogether 24 hours before the match. I subside on trail mix while I'm shooting and between matches, the kind without the M&Ms. No caffiene, no sugar. Light meals and heavy hydration. This helps keep my heart rate low while I'm shooting, and lessens the adrenaline rush. I shoot best when I feel very tired. I guess it's kind of an extreme, but it works for me very well.
nutritionslim

Post by nutritionslim »

Balanced diet is essential for a person to keep healthy himself. A balanced diet should include all the necessary nutrients like proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals and fats in right quantities. It is extremely important that he takes all his meals at a fixed time everyday. A good intake of water helps immensely in the proper digestion of food. Water also flushes out the harmful waste products from the body.

Herbalife
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

When I was younger and competing a lot I also found that it was important to maintain a balanced diet during a match. On the night before a match it is important to keep a proper balance between the intake of beer and gin. That way you will be in great shape for the days shooting.

BUT just don't do it while shooting.!
SocorranThunder

Post by SocorranThunder »

I need food the day of the match. I get nauseous and lightheaded and blurry-eyed without food.
There are a few things I DON'T ever eat before shooting:
cereal and milk
cream of wheat
sugary breakfast foods (pancakes, waffles, Toaster Strudels, etc)

If I eat any of those things, my stomach is not happy while I try to shoot, and it gets very distracting. Also, I feel weak.

I think Chex Mix is my favorite thing to eat during a match, but it's really salty and dry so it needs lots of water to go with it. I shove a handful in my mouth between each position if I have time.
Protein and carbs are the best things for me before a match. Potatoes, some meat, toast...sometimes eggs if they're cooked just right.
AusTarget

Post by AusTarget »

I'm sure you've already seen that the obvious ones have been stated.

Obviously potassium,sugar and caffeine aren't your friends. So bannanas are definitely a big no no.

Personally I keep off caffeine almost full time unless im away and not training. I eat 3 good solid meals a day and ensure that they have a good mix of carbs etc. But overall as long as you're not consuming anything thats going to give you a big energy spike on the day you'll be fine.

Drink water as MUCH as possible. Your heart rate will naturally slow and maintain a good rate if you are well hydrated. The day before training and the day of training means sugar is kept to the ABSOLUTE minimum. and if its a comp im preparing for the whole week I prepare by eating and drinking well and ensuring sugar etc etc is practically as non existent as you can make it.

And thats my view :)