Why don't pellet tins have a screw-on lid?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

Yes, I'm asking because I just spilled a tin...
Yes, I broke down and ordered one of those plastic keepers...
The cheapo Crossman pellets do...why not RWS and others?
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

That way, when we spill one tin per sleeve, we have to go get more.

That, or it's just that the current tin is cheaper. Putting a screw on lid would probably increase the price they pay for the tins by a lot.
Tom Amlie

Post by Tom Amlie »

Just as an idle observation, I have an old RWS tin from about 35 years ago that I believe has a screw-on lid (keep front sight inserts in it). Just going from memory...don't feel like digging around in the attic right now to verify.
Alex L

Post by Alex L »

I make Air Pellet tin covers - in leather. they are just little pouches with a press stud fastening. The RWS tin fits them just perfectly.

My wife "invented" them when she wound up with a gun box full of air pellets, as the sticky tape had come Unstuck!! Necessity being the mother in invention!!!

They also fit stop watches.

I have sold a few to Club members at $15 Australian. (Plus postage)

I can't download a photo here, but if anyone wants to see one you will have to email me privately, and I can send you a photo.

Alex. L.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I have a bunch of screw on tins for use on the line just for the reason you mention ... painted them and they are easy to find & refill.

The problem I have is the kids like to "snap" the lids back on instead of screwing them back together many times resulting in cross threads which are then just about impossible to get into. It usually takes a benchvise and water pipe pliers to get them undone.

I think the real reason(s) are stated above:
1) mfg costs
2) so we gotta order more when they dump <grin>
Rover

Post by Rover »

JHMARTIN,

You got it! The damn things are impossible to open.

I think they should be made with a reverse thread to make it even more difficult.

It IS good for the waistline when you drop a tin of pellets, though.

I remember the thrill of my first 3X Air at the OTC when I opened my gun box and found the pellet tin had opened, strewing pellets and even getting into the trigger mechanism of my FWB 90.

Thankfully, Don Nygord helped me out to get it operating again. I also discovered that spring guns and SSPs don't work great at high altitude.
luftskytter

Post by luftskytter »

I've pondered this one too, only the cheapo pellets have screw-on lids.

I guess the taped on lids work as a seal: they guarantee that the box has never been opened in the shop, and is airtight so the pellets don't corrode. Sealed cartons of ten boxes are an ideal format!
This may be important if you buy large lots of pellets selected for your gun after extensive testing. Or like me, you see big lots at a discount as a good investment in times of rising prices, low bank interests and insecure stockmarkets...

German makers sell plastic clips for securing the lids:
I've found that this is a very good investment too :-)
BrianS

Air Pellet Screw Lid

Post by BrianS »

I have found a simple solution to protecting the contents of air pellet tins. Here in the UK, there is a company called 'Bodyshop'. They sell all those cosmetic creams etc. for ladies, packaged in plastic tubs the exact size of an H&N pellet tin. Empty the creamy contents, insert the pellet tin base (fits like a piston - pierce the base to let out the trapped air), refill the new container with pellets complete with a secure twist-on lid. Choice of colours depending on the flavour of the original contents. Nil cost secure pellet container.
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

I thought our host, Pilkguns sold a pellet tin sleeve, but I don't find any on their site.

The type I'm referring to is the Gehmann Pellet Tin Sleeve style holder. There is also an Anschutz Pellet Tin Sleeve at the same site. This type or possibly a rubber version might also be referred to as a "hockey puck."

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Homepage
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things
Walter

Post by Walter »

Just re-use the tape.
luftskytter

Post by luftskytter »

Ed Hall wrote:I thought our host, Pilkguns sold a pellet tin sleeve, but I don't find any on their site.

The type I'm referring to is the Gehmann Pellet Tin Sleeve style holder. There is also an Anschutz Pellet Tin Sleeve at the same site. This type or possibly a rubber version might also be referred to as a "hockey puck."

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Homepage
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things

Those are the ones I was referring to in my post above:
guess I have almost a dozen of these :-)
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

If you buy Vogel USA match pellets, you get a transparent container with a built in lock so you don't spill pellets and that has rebate as well
Oz

Post by Oz »

pilkguns wrote:If you buy Vogel USA match pellets, you get a transparent container with a built in lock so you don't spill pellets and that has rebate as well
If this was Facebook, I'd click on the thumbs up and give this a 'like'. I've never tried the Vogel and need to do so. I'm going to put in an order today!

Oz
Mark Skeels

Leather Tin pellet cover

Post by Mark Skeels »

Alex L said his wife made them from leather. I don't chew, but enjoy leatherwork, and it reminds me of maybe something I saw in the Tandy leather catalog in the past that would hold a coppenhagen can of tabacco, leather with a snap, but of course this one would have a slot in the back to attach to your belt for easy access, which you wouldn't need to use for a pellet tin. I would think it is about the same size. Of course Tandy is over priced, but they do have 50% off sales quite often for certain items.
Mark Skeels

Leather Tin pellet cover

Post by Mark Skeels »

Alex L said his wife made them from leather. I don't chew, but enjoy leatherwork, and it reminds me of maybe something I saw in the Tandy leather catalog in the past that would hold a coppenhagen can of tabacco, leather with a snap, but of course this one would have a slot in the back to attach to your belt for easy access, which you wouldn't need to use for a pellet tin. I would think it is about the same size. Of course Tandy is over priced, but they do have 50% off sales quite often for certain items.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Why are the containers made of metal? I think a plastic container with a screw on or snap on lid would be cheap to make once the pattern was made.
luftskytter

Post by luftskytter »

I have an old "Hobby" pellet box made from plastic, and som of the nasty black Chinese "industry Brand" pellets come in clear plastic boxes. I have a few of these too.

No Problem :-)
Shooting Bloke

Post by Shooting Bloke »

You are meant to shoot them all off in one go. Then buy more. ;)

Post by Guest »

What works for me is to lightly squeeze the tin so the opening becomes oval. When you pop the round lid back on it holds quite well.