pellet grouping sizes

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Hon

pellet grouping sizes

Post by Hon »

Does anyone have a link or reference to H & N finale match and Match factory claimed grouping size? I saw it somewhere but couldn't find it anymore. It is something like <6.1mm or <6.7mm. I need the official figures not the individual batch test results. Thank you.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

There's certainly nothing like that on their web site.

I'd be really surprised if they do publish such figures, mainly because they are so dependant on factors which are nothing to do with the pellet.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Probably something out of one of the old Beeman Airgun catalogs. If so, it means nothing...they lied a lot.

The only way to know is to do it yourself. There was a bunch of stuff on the Olympic Pistol form on this subject, but not exactly what you are looking for.

Have a look anyway...

viewtopic.php?t=22415

viewtopic.php?t=22499
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

David is probably right, you won't find any data [published] on pellet grouping from the pellet manufacturers. They will have their own test barrels but there are too many other factors out side their control for a set of figures to be published, they would be meaningless.

When i visited the FWB factory many years ago, i asked them rather naively what pellet gave the best groups [obviously] in their weapons.

They said under German law they were not allowed to say, but i noticed on the test range tins of RWS and H+N pellets which were the only makes around at that time. I asked them what pellet was used on the test card that my rifle had when i bought it. Answer, no comment except it was one of those two makes.

Do your own tests.

Peeps
alb

Post by alb »

Rover wrote:Probably something out of one of the old Beeman Airgun catalogs. If so, it means nothing...they lied a lot.
Actually, they didn't lie at all. They just used highly dubious methods for obtaining their data. Specifically, they would evaluate the accuracy of an airgun by shooting an unspecified number of 3-shot groups with it and then reporting the CTC spread of the best 3-shot group. They described all of this in their catalogs.

Regards,

Al B.