What 22lr.shells are best for walther gsp expert?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

golfer47

What 22lr.shells are best for walther gsp expert?

Post by golfer47 »

I just purchased a walther gsp expert in 22lr.And I was wondering what shells are best for the gun, such as what velocity is best. Is there a max velocity for the gun? Can you shoot cheap ammo just to keep good trigger feel and then shoot a more accurate shell for comp.?
nvalcik

RE: Best Ammo for Walther GSP Expert

Post by nvalcik »

I use CCI Green Tag for matches and Winchester T-22 for practice. Both work very reliably in the Walther GSP Expert.

Post by Guest »

SHELLS??!! You gonna use it as a shotgun?
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

Golfer, start with CCI standard velocity---if you and the gun are happy---so be it. If you start having cycling problems go to a "better" grade of ammo. Frankly I use RWS Target Rifle (price has jumped awfully) and am quite happy with it for match ammo. The CCI is used for practice (almost as expensive and hard to find as match ammo). "Doc"

Aquila SV

Post by Guest »

Howdy,
I have an older GSP. I picked up a case of Aquila SV last year from Natchez and have shot up over 3500 rounds of it. It has not jammed or failed once and the stuff shoots good in my gun.
If your are thinking about ordering ammo you might give it a try.
I like the CCI SV too. I can get it around here (In more normal times) and it preforms as well as the Aquila SV.
Good luck
Mike
golfer47

Post by golfer47 »

I have tried to find the ammo everyone has told me about, however, all the guns shops and stores that have ammo are out.It is getting hard to find any kind of 22lr ammo.I have looked at several web sites and all are out of stock.I hate to shoot Wal-Mart ammo in my new gun( they only had one box) but I may have to for now.
nvalcik

RE: Walther GSP

Post by nvalcik »

Whatever you do, do not shoot high velocity or copper jacketed bullets through your GSP. Match target pistols are not designed to shoot such ammunition so be very careful of whatever you got from Walmart. They usually only have high velocity ammunition for sale.
golfer47

Post by golfer47 »

All I have found is Remington Gold velocity 1280-Remington Target velocity 1150, and Federal lightning velocity 1240.The difference in velocity from the high to low is about 90 to 130 fps.Will this small difference damage the gun? All Academy stores had were 2 boxs of the target velocity.
nvalcik

Post by nvalcik »

I personally have had serious problems with Remington Target completely sheeting up the inside of my barrels and will not use it for any of my guns.
Dick

Post by Dick »

Get a box of as many different standard velocity/target loads as you can find and do some testing. My GSP decided it liked CCI SV (even more than it liked Green Tag) and I shot that for a few years before it became difficult to find, and a lot more expensive when it was available. I switched to the Aguila SV that CMP sells (cheap, but not as cheap as it used to be) and find that there's not enough difference between the two for me to notice.
golfer47

Post by golfer47 »

I just talked to Earl @ Earls guns (Walther dealer) and he is going to send me some springs to try that you can use with different ammo velocitys.This might get me by until standard velocity ammo gets more avaliable.
Popeye

Suitable Ammo for GSP

Post by Popeye »

I have also found that CCI stand velocity works flawlessly in the GSP. I suggest, given the GSP is a very reliable target pistol, that you find a reliable type of round that works, and stock up, and use that ammo for both practice and serious matches as you have sighted in the GSP for that ammo in practice.

Changing springs to suit ammo is not really good practice given that you own one of the most reliable .22LR target pistols on the ranges.