Range Etiquette

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Misny

Post by Misny »

I'm not the best shooter around, but I've been around the shooting sports for a long time. Like most of us, when it comes to swearing, "I've heard it all" and said most of it at one time or another. I've seen bad behavior off the range to the extreme and had to deal with a lot of it. We all get to see rude behavior every day in our lives...just drive down the expressway or go to the store.

I was drawn to the shooting sports for a few reasons. Unlike golf or bowling, for example, I liked learning a skill that had practical applications. I liked mixing with people from all walks of life. I liked the friendly way I was treated by other shooters, who seemed to go out of their way to help me when I was just starting out. They seem to still help other competitors even if they are their major competition. I like that the rules don't allow loud talk, swearing and acting out. I like that I can take young children to the range and they won't be subjected to the behavior of some at a professional sports game. Have I been annoyed by some shooters and seen rude and bad behavior? Yes, but it has been rare. Most of these folks don't seem to last in our sport. The ones that do, seem to be able to modify their behavior while on the range. The shooting sports are
about self control.

All that being said, I think the shooting sports are genteel in nature. Call me a prude, but I don't think that is a bad thing. Those in the shooting sports who cheat, are rude, and/or vulgar need to be told that their behavior is unacceptable and given the opportunity to correct it, or they need to find another sport where their behavior will be more appreciated. That kind of behavior has no more place in our sport than bad safety practices.