Tracking # of 10's in Training?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Pabs

Post by Pabs »

Steve

thank you ... again

Tony
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Just to throw a spanner in the works, there is another way.

After you done it tens (or maybe hundreds) of thousands of times in training, sight alignment and aiming adjustments can look after themselves. This leaves you free to concentrate on the thing that really matters: releasing the trigger perfectly so that the sight alignment is not disturbed.

It worked for me.
jackh

Post by jackh »

Well, just what is the difference between
1) triggering to not disturb the aligned sights, and
2) holding the sights aligned as you release the shot
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

jackh wrote:Well, just what is the difference between
1) triggering to not disturb the aligned sights, and
2) holding the sights aligned as you release the shot
In 1) you are concentrating on the positive smooth trigger release, the sight alignment is done continuously by the "subconscious".

In 2) you are concentrating on aligning the sights in the aiming area, the trigger release is signalled by the "subconscious".

When viewed on Scatt, 2) often displays the infamous 0.25-0.35 second reaction time. This is absent with 1).
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

After coaching rifle shooters of all levels for 25 years, and having good success with mentally paying attention to the sights while the trigger became "automatic" or "sub-conscious", last year one of my high level ex-rifle shooters turned to the dark side. He tried the same technique for pistol, however after six months decided to try keeping attention on the trigger release and letting sight alignment become sub-conscious. Groups shrank, and scores improved. After discussion we decided the solid hold in rifle allows the attention to perfecting the sight picture, but the continuous movement in pistol worked against it. My first experience with a higher level (565 avg AP) pistol shooter, so don't know if this is the norm. I "know?" in rifle the best results come from sub-conscious trigger control.
CraigE

Not yet at 565....but

Post by CraigE »

Rifle is a part of my WAAAAAYYYYYYYY back memory. However, recent efforts with the pistol agree with your assessment about concentrating on the smooth, straight trigger and allowing subconscious to take care of the sights. My results improve dramatically when I make the trigger right and let sight alignment just "happen". I have heeded Bill Horton on the tight hold and sight focus, but for me...the emphasis on proper trigger trumps. Mileage for others may vary.