Any AP in Birmingham- England ?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

joecon

Any AP in Birmingham- England ?

Post by joecon »

Hi, I'm travelling on business to UK & will be in Birmingham area, are there any locations where AP or AR is shot that I might have a look or if not, any target shooting in general?
Any target shooting equipment suppliers in area?
Thanks in advance.
Joe.
RobStubbs

Re: Any AP in Birmingham- England ?

Post by RobStubbs »

joecon wrote:Hi, I'm travelling on business to UK & will be in Birmingham area, are there any locations where AP or AR is shot that I might have a look or if not, any target shooting in general?
Any target shooting equipment suppliers in area?
Thanks in advance.
Joe.
In short there are, but I don't know where they are. Try looking on the NSRA website for clubs, and guntrader .co . uk for dealers - I think you can then search on areas. Most shooting clubs require you to pre-register if you want to visit so get in contact with them ahead of times.

Rob.

P.S. Birmingham is a big city, so you may want to narrow down your selection to somewhere near to where you're staying.
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Joe

Not sure about clubs in the Birmingham area only to say as Rob did there are a few. A good target dealer is City Air Weapons in Solihull which is an outer suburb of Brum. They will know where the clubs are as will the NSRA Club finder.

Peeps
joecon

Post by joecon »

I'm in Dudley; will look at NSRA webpage; & see if I can make it to City Air Weapons for a look.

Thanks Guys.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

joecon wrote:I'm in Dudley; will look at NSRA webpage; & see if I can make it to City Air Weapons for a look.

Thanks Guys.
If you're in Dudley, then consider Aldersley, Nr Wolverhampton as well. That's the NSRA's 2nd large range complex (with a shop) and normally worth a look. Again check the NSRA website for more details and see about contacting Tony Taylor (?) I think it is, who is the venue manager.

<edit> OK looking on mapquest that gives them being about 10 miles apart.

Rob.
joecon

Post by joecon »

Thanks again Rob. I had found the National Indoor Shooting Centre mentioned on web last evening- tried the contact number for Tony Taylor today a couple of times today, just getting answering machine. I've left a message & will try again tomorrow. The information on the Wolverhampton City Council website seems to indicate it is only open: 'Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday 5-10pm and Saturday 10 - 5pm.' Looks like this would be a place to see.
Oz

Post by Oz »

Just slightly off topic, but it seems like an appropriate question for the group of people viewing this subject.

If I were to fly over on vacation, but wanted to meet some local AP shooters and shoot a bit; could I simply pack my LP-10 in my luggage, fly to Heathrow get my luggage with my LP10 packed away, go to my hotel; Meet you nice chaps, tuck my LP10 case under my arm and walk to your local range and shoot a few targets with you?

Last time I was over there, I brought along my darts, expecting to find a nice English pub where they could make fun of my American darts and completely work me over on a local dart board. Never made it to the pub however... carried those darts a long way for nothing...

Oz
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

joecon wrote:Thanks again Rob. I had found the National Indoor Shooting Centre mentioned on web last evening- tried the contact number for Tony Taylor today a couple of times today, just getting answering machine. I've left a message & will try again tomorrow. The information on the Wolverhampton City Council website seems to indicate it is only open: 'Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday 5-10pm and Saturday 10 - 5pm.' Looks like this would be a place to see.
I can't remember opening times, but they sound about right. You may want to check the West Midlands Training Squad Website just to see if there's anything happening there on the weekend you plan to visit - assuming you're thinking of going on a weekend.

Oz wrote:Just slightly off topic, but it seems like an appropriate question for the group of people viewing this subject.

If I were to fly over on vacation, but wanted to meet some local AP shooters and shoot a bit; could I simply pack my LP-10 in my luggage, fly to Heathrow get my luggage with my LP10 packed away, go to my hotel; Meet you nice chaps, tuck my LP10 case under my arm and walk to your local range and shoot a few targets with you?

Oz
In short no you couldn't. Airguns need declaring just like any other guns / firearms. Customs would be more than unimpressed if they x-rayed a case with an undeclared weapon in it. Other than that, yes you could just go to a range that had agreed to let you shoot it, and shoot.

Rob.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

RobStubbs wrote:Airguns need declaring just like any other guns / firearms.
Just to clarify that, in the UK airguns are considered to be firearms. If however they meet certain criteria (e.g. 6ft.lb for pistols and 12ft.lb for rifles) they are exempt from the requirement to be held on a firearm certificate.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

David Levene wrote:
RobStubbs wrote:Airguns need declaring just like any other guns / firearms.
Just to clarify that, in the UK airguns are considered to be firearms. If however they meet certain criteria (e.g. 6ft.lb for pistols and 12ft.lb for rifles) they are exempt from the requirement to be held on a firearm certificate.
Indeed, I meant they need declaring prior to checking in and boarding a flight - as they are treated as firearms on flights and by ferry operators. In fact if they were firearms they would be on our documents and that would lead to quicker check-ins from airport staff, untrained in the finer details of firearms legislation.

Rob.
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

No problems once you have arrived but suspect that the TSA would be your biggest hurdle. Your LP10 would be handled as a "firearm" but once you had been re-united with it landside on arrival it would revert to being an "airgun", provided of course that its power is <6ft/lbs.

The guiding principle in all these matters is to arrange them well in advance, preferably in writing.

Rutty
joecon

Post by joecon »

Went along to the NISC in Wolverhampton yesterday. Tony Taylor & the guys there were most welcoming & the facility was most impressive. Oh to have something like that in my region. The costs to use the centre appear very reasonable.
Definitatly a place to visit should you be in the area. I hope to visit again. Thanks to all there, & here for the recommendation.
Joe.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

It was nice to meet you Joe, and the invitation is open if you are ever around again :-)

Hope to see you again soon

Lee
floyd1977

Rugeley Rifle Club

Post by floyd1977 »

http://www.rugeleyrifleclub.org.uk/

My daughter belonged to this club last summer while interning at Eley. They have an air range.