Steyr Green o Ring Lubricant

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

Hi all,

Well I thought there was a problem with my air cylinders emptying when connecting/disconnecting from my hand pump but on closer inspection I can see that screwing the cylinders on/off are tearing at the O-Ring. What type of lubricant should I use?

I know the manual says acid free silicon grease but when I mention that to people and shops (and gunshops) they just look at me blankly. Unfortunately the oly grease I have at home are petrolium based - vasoline or Lithium grease and I can only assume that these are no good....

Cheers

David
Alex L

Post by Alex L »

Hi David,

You need a silicon base lubricant.
I use Liqui Moly Guntec.

It is a special lubricant for guns. I got it from Hemanns Firearms in Mirboo , Vic. His advert is in the P.A. Bulletin.

You have to be very careful when removing the cylinders. they must be fully removed. I keep mine in calico pouches which my wife made to fit each one separately.

The same O rings fit the big air tank I fill from.

I always put my cylinders away fully filled after each use. When I go to a competition, I check it before leaving home. You should keep some spare O rings handy. They only cost $3 or $4 - depending where you buy them.

Good luck.
Alex L.
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

If you can get it, the FWB grease is ideal. It comes in a small tube and is synthetic and acid free.

Peeps
william

Post by william »

You'll need an accomplice for this: ask a high school or university student you know to nick a teaspoonful of high vacuum silicone grease from the physics lab. That should last you nearly a lifetime.
randy1952

O Ring Tearing

Post by randy1952 »

I was having this problem with various airguns that have exposed o-rings that are on the filling adapter or on the nipple of the rifle or pistol. The first time I had this problem was on a air pistol o-ring on the nipple where the cylinders are screwed on and Don Nygord the dealer who sold me the pistol says that you must screw the air cylinders all the way on or off. If you only do it partially on or off and then reverse the turn direction the threads can cut the o-ring. It might not do it everytime, but eventually it will pull or tear at the o-ring to the point it will break. The problem has virtually gone since I started heading Don's advice except for normal wear or when I forget and reverse the turn on a cylinder.
Oz

Post by Oz »

I remember someone posting up a suggestion... sorry I don't remember who it was. They said to take a can of the silicone spray lubricant (similar to WD40, but it's NOT WD40 of course) and spray some in a small cup. Let it sit while the propellant dissipates then use a toothpick to get some out of the cup. Dab it on the o-rings, done.
Philadelphia

Post by Philadelphia »

Have you tried any local dive shops?
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

I got some silicone grease from a plumbing supply section of the hardware store. The same grease is used on plumbing o-rings to lubricate them. It was very cheap. I have been using it on the steyr green rings for several months and they seem to be doing fine. I have put a very tiny amount on the threads of the gun or tank adapter so the cylinder goes on and off smoothly and I don't loose too much air. I dab a little on a toothpick and then smear it on, a very tiny amount.
pilkguns@camp perry

Post by pilkguns@camp perry »

dive shop or kitchen supplier will have it. most hardware stores in America will also

always be sure and unscrew your cylinder complety before scrwing it back on.. Just unsecrewing the threads enough to bleed the air and restarting back later will pinch that o-ring and tear it.
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

Ah - good tip. That's exactly what was happening.

Application of a little silicon grease has done the trick. Cylinders are filling and disconnecting fine now.