10m spotting scope?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

melchloboo

10m spotting scope?

Post by melchloboo »

Are there spotting scopes that can focus on a 10m air pistol/rifle target? In low light? Cheaper the better, thanks.
RobStubbs

Re: 10m spotting scope?

Post by RobStubbs »

melchloboo wrote:Are there spotting scopes that can focus on a 10m air pistol/rifle target? In low light? Cheaper the better, thanks.
Most can focus down to that distance. Check on the various auction sites for something cheap. I personally use a cheap monocular for when I need to scope at 10M, which is rarely.

Rob.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Misny

Post by Misny »

I'll second Champion Shooter's Supply as a great place to get a scope and accessories. They carry high quality and have reasonable prices. They have a lot of other competitive shooting stuff as well.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Celestron used to make a scope that was really nice for both 10m air and 50m smallbore, it was about $80 .... very nice quality, but inexpensive enough if one of our shooters kicked one ove I would not lose my temper (or cry) .... for $20 they will replace if broken ....

Can't seem to find them now, but they have their "Ultima 65 -45" that looks pretty good too. Min focus is 6.1 meters

Look at OpticsPlanet.com

Some have used their Maksutov scopes, but the one I had was easily damaged ... I switched back to the prismatic refractor type.

Only ever had to use the warranty on the Mak .... the others are pretty rugged
little_doodie

Post by little_doodie »

opticsplanet has a few cheap scopes.
I bought a cheap 45 deg. 18x scope.
I can't say its a real quality scope but it was about 30-35$ and if it falls i won't cry.
Rover

Post by Rover »

jhmartin,

See my post above. They changed the name.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Yup ... that's it .... it is a 45° zoom job that zooms from 12-36X.

The kids use about 12-18X for 10m, and maybe 24 for 50m smallbore .... me with my bad eyes, use the 36X and can finally see holes out at 50m

I've got nicer scopes, but all but one kid prefers the celestrons

Nice to know they are still available ... $95 is still a good deal on these
little_doodie

Post by little_doodie »

Rover wrote:jhmartin,

See my post above. They changed the name.
I think the scope your talking about Champion shooters supply carries.
I have heard its a very good scope.
Most likely much better than the cheap one I got.
But I bough my cheap one for inside my pistol box and want light weight and be able to see shots at 50'.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

You really don't need anything much in terms of magnification. 8 - 10 x is fine especially as a fixed scope. As I mentioned I use a monocular which is 8 x 20 hand held and I can see all the holes fine. Oh and that cost me less than $10. It really depends on how often you use it and if you want something fixed or fixable, on a tripod.

Rob.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Good advice from Rob.

I would only buy something fancier if I were shooting other than air as well.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

This is a GOOD question, as some spotting scopes won't focus at 10m.
I have an old Bushnell that I have to back the eyepiece out a bit to get it focused at 10m.
Oz

Post by Oz »

I put an old video camera I had laying around, on a tripod and then fed the signal an LCD screen which sits on my shooting table.

It focuses great on the black center, holes are surprisingly easy to read and score.

It was a free solution for me since I had all the stuff laying around.

Oz
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Oz wrote:I put an old video camera I had laying around, on a tripod and then fed the signal an LCD screen which sits on my shooting table.

It focuses great on the black center, holes are surprisingly easy to read and score.

It was a free solution for me since I had all the stuff laying around.

Oz
You can do exactly the same with a webcam. Unfortunately neither are really suitable for those that shoot on different ranges, or even at a club range.

Rob.
brandon maloy

clestron scope

Post by brandon maloy »

The celestron scope that champion shooters sell for 95$ is a great scope. A kid in my club has one and they seem to be really nice. They focus clearly at 10m. They are also very small so they arnt front heavy like most other scopes are. I highly recommend buying one.
HibouAttentif

Post by HibouAttentif »

If you are up in Canada, Princess Auto (of all places) has a cheap spotting scope that costs about $50.00. It comes with a short tripod but I use a full size camera tripod on mine, as it has the same thread size. That scope is on sale regularly. No it's not top of the line by a long shot, but it's clear enough for the job at 10 m.
Denis