July Issue Of Target Shooter out now!

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

tim.williams

July Issue Of Target Shooter out now!

Post by tim.williams »

Hya guys,
the latest issue of Target Shooter is now out, so visit www.targetshooter.co.uk
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

I emailed these guys because I was disappointed that downloading the magazine results in a Windoze executable file. Since I use Linux, not too much use to me. I asked why they wouldn't put it up as a.pdf or other platform-independent type. No satisfactory answer.

Anyone else like to encourage these guys to be less restrictive?
bt88

Post by bt88 »

Here's what I did:

When you go the the web page and it starts streaming the document, click on the thing that says "More" in the upper left hand corner of the gray window, then "Save Document". It will redirect you to Scribd, where you can login (or create a login if you don't have an account). After you're logged in, you can download the .pdf version to be viewed on your Linux box.
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Yes, thanks.

I suppose I should also have said that I didn't like the terms & conditions required for a Scribd account. Not making things easy for myself, am I? Surely there are other awkward bu**ers out there?
tim.williams

Post by tim.williams »

Kiwi,

Can you read SWF files on linux, if so you may ant to try the download version.

Tim
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

Actually, the "Download Magazine" button saves a .zip file to your computer. In Linux, you can simply open the zip and then open the "Target Shooter July Issue" folder. Then open the "images" folder and all the pages are there as images. The page numbers are offset by one.

Happy reading!

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Homepage
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Doh! Thanks Ed, you're a genius! The files have been sitting on the HD for some time. Clearly, I give up too easily. Now I feel really stooopid.

[edited, about 1 hour later: kept getting distracted by the good read] Ha! Dragged the zoomed .jpg files into Open Office wordpro and exported as a .pdf! Easy, but tedious. Now, if those nice guys who put this excellent effort together would do it for me...
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

Shooting Kiwi wrote:Doh! Thanks Ed, you're a genius! The files have been sitting on the HD for some time. Clearly, I give up too easily. Now I feel really stooopid.

[edited, about 1 hour later: kept getting distracted by the good read] Ha! Dragged the zoomed .jpg files into Open Office wordpro and exported as a .pdf! Easy, but tedious. Now, if those nice guys who put this excellent effort together would do it for me...
I'm a little more lazy than you.(smile)

I simply extracted the entire set into a temporary folder, did a search for the term "zoom" in that folder, copied all the "zoom" files into another temporary directory and used Eye of Gnome to review them.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Homepage
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things