Cheapo pellet trap "armor" plates

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

melchloboo

Cheapo pellet trap "armor" plates

Post by melchloboo »

Just a quick cheapo tip for re-enforcing cheapo sporting goods store pellet traps. I was wandering around my local hardware store and stumbled upon a solution in the electrical department.

I found what are about 3"x3" steel plates with corners having pre-drilled holes, for $0.50 each. Not sure what they are called, but I think they are used for the backs of household light switch boxes that need to be grounded. Don't know the exact steel gauge, but its pretty heavy.

All I had to do was drill holes in the light-gauge trap for mounting screws, and viola, my $15 cheapo trap has $2 body armor that can take 10m air rifle hits at 20 feet (garage practice) much better. Added bonus is for some reason the trap is quieter now.
zollman

Post by zollman »

Put a thin layer (c. 1/8"-3/16") of duct seal between the armor and trap, and it will get even quieter. I applied 1/4" behind an angled reflecter trap and it made a huge difference in dampening the initial impact and after ringing.

zollman
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Not sure if your trap has an angled deflector plate, if it does, you can make it real quiet by replacing the angled plate with some nylon/polypropylene board. I got a food chopping board from my local store about 6-mm thick and cut it to size.
We have used this chopping board material in our club and after thousands of pellets they are still OK. I don't think this will work on a vertical back plate.

Peeps