Hammerli/Walther Olympia advice needed

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

mrmosin

Hammerli/Walther Olympia advice needed

Post by mrmosin »

I am looking at one of these pistols with the muzzle brake, and weights chambered in 22 short. Excellent condition. It does not have the grips with the right side rest, but checkered in both sides. I can get it for $850. Is this a good deal, and is it OK for Bullseye shooting. I have a early S&W 41 and an early HS Supermatic Citation. I know apples and oranges, but can they be compared? I have not shot bullseye in years and am getting back in the game. Any advice is helpful
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I used to own a Hammerli/Walther Olympia which I purchsed in the 1950's. Sold it many years ago since it became a bit too muzzle heavy for me with time. As I remember it had a superb trigger, and was very accurate.
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

I'd try to confirm whether 22 shorts can still be used. It's my understanding that they can, but you might find match directors who disagree.

Here's the relevant section of the rules..

3.4 .22 Caliber Pistol or Revolver - Any pistol or revolver using a .22 caliber rimfire, cartridge having an over-all length of not more than 1.1 inches and with lead or alloy bullet not greater than .23 inches in diameter and weighing not more than 40 grains; barrel length, including cylinder, not more than 10 inches; sights may be adjustable but not over ten inches apart measured from the apex of the rear sight to the apex of the front sight. Trigger pull not less than 2 pounds. All standard safety features of the gun must operate properly. Any sights, including telescopic, are permitted with the exception of those sights which project an image on the target. Any sighting device programmed to activate the firing mechanism is prohibited.

Personally I'd go with a more contemporary pistol in 22LR that will be easier to maintain and repair. But if you're someone who appreciates a nice classic match pistol, and think that you'll enjoy shooting it, then it might be a good candidate.
Mike Taylor

Post by Mike Taylor »

You won't be able to use it in ISSF competitions (.22 short no longer allowed and muzzle brake no longer allowed) but you can use it in NRA Conventional Pistol provided you can get the trigger weight up to 2 pounds (907 grams). The grip could be a problem for NRA, too, depending upon its configuration (no 'wrap-around grips allowed). While .22 short is OK for the shorter distances (to 25 meters), you will likely find it compares poorly to .22 long rifle at 50 yards and beyond.
$850 is too high to pay for a .22 short target pistol these days (unless you are a collector and want that particular gun) in my opinion. For that price you can find used models of Walther GSP, High Standard Citation or Trophy, Smith & Wesson model 41, and Benelli MP95 (possibly MP90, as well) - all of which have good target-quality triggers and are 'good' to 50 meters.
I suggest you stick with your S&W 41 (especially an 'early' model) and HS Citation. You can get fancier grips for either of these guns if you so desire, but you are likely 'good-to-go' with them as they are (without my knowing all details of their current condition).
Regards,
M.T.

Post by Guest »

I enjoy the classics, but to a point. I just saw mags for this pistol at $139.00.
There is a limit to having fun and spending money.
Rover

Post by Rover »

You already own the perfect guns for your purposes.

Spend your money on a match air pistol and really get good.

You can get all the info you want on them at the "Olympic Pistol" forum.

Have fun!
Tony C.

Post by Tony C. »

I'd agree with what others said, $850 sounds high for an out dated target pistol, albeit a very good one.

Another thing you need to consider is ammo, match grade .22 short is getting harder to come by, and may very well be gone altogether in a few years, there will still be HV hollow pt. .22 shorts available but they don't shoot well in a target pistol, my OSP just don't like them, and at times even go full auto with it!

For NRA bullseye match, you already got the pistols design for them, the Walther is a nice addition to your battery, but $850 IMHO is on the high side.

Tony
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

Tony C. wrote:I'd agree with what others said, $850 sounds high for an out dated target pistol, albeit a very good one.

Another thing you need to consider is ammo, match grade .22 short is getting harder to come by, and may very well be gone altogether in a few years, there will still be HV hollow pt. .22 shorts available but they don't shoot well in a target pistol, my OSP just don't like them, and at times even go full auto with it!

For NRA bullseye match, you already got the pistols design for them, the Walther is a nice addition to your battery, but $850 IMHO is on the high side.

Tony
TonyC,
I was able to eliminate the doubloing with higher velocity 22 Shorts in my OSP by changing to the GSP 2 lb trigger unit.