Scatt info for those that dont have one

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

zollman

Post by zollman »

Red: Initiation and hold
Green: Release minus 1 second
Blue: Release minus .3 second
Yellow: Release
Purple: Post release

zollman
Steve Swartz as Guest

Post by Steve Swartz as Guest »

I think those are the default settings- David, are you using the defaults?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

zollman wrote:Red: Initiation and hold
Green: Release minus 1 second
Blue: Release minus .3 second
Yellow: Release
Purple: Post release

zollman
And how long does the 'initiation and hold' phase collect data for ? I know on Scatt it can be set by the user.

Rob.
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

The RED is the last 10 seconds of hold, the green is 1 second before, the blue is 0.3 seconds before and the violet is 6 seconds of follow through.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Higginsdj,

the only thing I might suggest is that your NPA was a slight bit left of center. If you can fine tune that you will not need to use muscle control to move it toward the center.

Using muscle will always result in larger hold areas and often over correction needing more muscle, etc.

Try to "allow" the gun to trace down the numbers toward the middle, slowing to a stop as your aim reaches the correct place. Of course, as mentioned above, you are adding pressure to the trigger already before you stop and if it is correctly coordinated your shot should break soon thereafter. By approaching directly from above and through the numbers you have a automatic check of your NPA and can proceed. If it comes in from the side or you notice it isn't quite centered, it increases the chance of you using muscle and raises the risk of the shot not being in the center of the hold area.

Marcus
Steve Swartz as Guest

Yep then that last trace sure looks a lot better than the first one!

Moving into the sweet spot as the shot breaks is A Good Thing . . .

Steve
JohnMeadth

Post by JohnMeadth »

The 598 scatt file posted to the Olympic pistol forum. Is it the real deal?
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

JohnMeadth wrote:The 598 scatt file posted to the Olympic pistol forum. Is it the real deal?
It's a yes and no answer. The "gun" is not a functioning projectile launcher, unless he has changed it. See the author's previous post for the details.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Homepage
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things
Pabs

Post by Pabs »

Thanks Ed, it is definitely yes and no and more as well. I have been sidelining this post since David started it mid June. I have learnt so much from the contributions, especially yours and Steve's. I have been practicing on hold and alignment for an hour or two daily and only yesterday had my first air match in a month - the result is elsewhere. I have been able to improve my PB on this SCATT/toy by 11 points. I know its not a real gun but, boy, its fun trying to crack the big 600. Thanks again for the wealth of experience you guys are so willing to sharing.
Buckeye

Scatt purchase

Post by Buckeye »

Who is the best vendor (price and support) to purchase a Scatt?
Thinkqob

Post by Thinkqob »

I want one but it's too expensive i think i should find a part time job to earn some money
http://archerfish.org/
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

Look for deals. I got a great deal on a Rika system from Potter Firearms (Australia) because I was willing to take the old Serial model rather than the new USB model.
John Hadjichristou

Post by John Hadjichristou »

I made the same mistake/discovery/reverlation as Pabs many months ago, after getting myself the Rika Hometrainer.
Using my Morini 162ei I noticed my hold was exceptional - holding the 10 ring for over 80% of my 6 - 8 second hold.
Starting off shooting around 570 - 577 for the first week, then, with more daily practice moved to 580 - 585. After just three weeks I was in the 590's - stringing off eight seperate 60 shot matches in under 30 minutes with final scores of 591,596,590,593,593,599 (damn I nearly shot a perfect score) 592,592.
Then a shooter friend of mine, who's been shooting for more than 15 years came to witness my bragging on how well (and easy) I was doing.
He watched with great intensity, raised eye brows and a wry smile.
By the way I was shooting on my 10m home range, with regulation lighting and my Morini was reguklation too - trigger, weight and all.
After I had 'easily' shot a 593 in just a fraction over 31 minutes, he asked that he take a look at the 'settings' I had inputted for the 10m air pistol target. Alas - lo and behold, the answer, the truth. I was shooting on a regulation target down my perfectly measured 10m range, BUT in the parameters/settings on my target in the Rika program I had inadvertently put 4.5m as the distance. (I had meant to put 4.5mm as the calibre)
A quick re-adjustment of the settings to change the 4.5m to 10.0m - and my hold shows me barely holding the 8 ring and scores back to how I compete with live fire on the range: 535 - 550.
In hind sight - common sense should have told me that 'something was amiss'
Nevertheless, the files I saved sure look World Class. :)
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

Hmmmm - I'm now worried that I am worse than I thought.... I haven't changed any of my settings from default and am shooting 5m on a scaled down target for that distance. Do I need to change the Rika to say I'm shooting at 5m?
Pabs

Post by Pabs »

Who'd a thunk it.

Thanks John you have come up with the solution.

I appears Scatt differs from Rika in that you can't set the range distance manually (to my knowledge anyway). Scatt has an option to adjust the optical sensor which, among other things, measures the distance between the optical sensor and the target sensor. For some reason my Scatt system, for extended occasions, has been reading my 6 metre range as being 10 metres. To check the theory I put a longer USB cable onto the gun took it out through the front door adjusted the sensor to 9 metres came back inside to 6 metres, fired a shot which scored equivalent to my recent "legendary" standard.

Thank goodness you posted the comment after I shot the 600 lunchtime yesterday - it would have felt like I was cheating if I had known ;)

Thanks mate, I have been chasing an answer to the "Why?" for some time now and the solution was so, so simple.

Excuse me whilst I climb down from this pedastal, shove it into a corner and rejoin the mere mortal queue - well towards the back.
Steve Swartz as Guest

Perhaps it is appropriate to discuss the difference between target trainers and electronic scoring systems?

Using an electronic scoring system to analyze your performance is just as inappropriate as using a trainer to shoot matches.

This isn't "apples vs. oranges" it is more like "apples vs. ideologies!"

Steve
JohnMeadth

Post by JohnMeadth »

Steve Swartz as Guest wrote:Perhaps it is appropriate to discuss the difference between target trainers and electronic scoring systems?

Using an electronic scoring system to analyze your performance is just as inappropriate as using a trainer to shoot matches.

This isn't "apples vs. oranges" it is more like "apples vs. ideologies!"

Steve
Would you please elaborate

John
John Hadjichristou

Post by John Hadjichristou »

Yes Steve, I do understand what you mean by that 'apples/oranges' comparison.
It's worthy for me to make a comment though, in regard to we Australians who use the Rika hometrainer.
Whilst for us, it appears we use it to analyse performance we also use it at home, as our firearms regulations do not allow us to have a home range for live fire. No - not even .177 (4.5mm) calibre.
Therefore, rather than travel for two hours (one hour to and fro) to shoot AP for one hour, having a home trainer allows us to "do the same" at home. In fact, in our vast country, many shooters live as far away as two hour to their range.
So, Yes, we use it as an electronic scoring system, and for good reason probably shouldn't be ridiculed for that.
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

I don't want to speak for John but I do agree with the sentiment. I think we are all aware of the limitations of the system as a "scoring system" but it still does provide a means of measuring performance improvement doesn't it (ie comparing Rika/Scatt sessions to each other rather than trying to compare Rika/Scatt sessions to live fire results)

For me, the range is 5 minutes from work so it's a 50km round trip to get home, pick up the AP and come back again. (and no I can't bring it to work - there is no authorised storage)

Cheers

David
david alaways

scatt

Post by david alaways »

I just shot my first pellets in over a month. Wow my gun has a kick! Feels like it anyway. Shooting with the scatt is much more unforgiving. My pellets where in 2 targets ,5 shoots ,1 hole groups . I have yet to do that on scatt. In a month shooting just scatt, I shot 1 "98"with a high.577. My first 10 shoots with pellets was 98. What that tells me is if I can improve shooting scatt when it comes time to shoot another match I should do Ok. My next move is to hook my scatt up to my pellet trap. There is something to be said about cutting a real hole in real paper,,,,,,,,David