50' Bullseye Gallery Shooting, Scope or no Scope

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Mass Shooter

50' Bullseye Gallery Shooting, Scope or no Scope

Post by Mass Shooter »

Do you find a spotting scope useful for 50' 22LR gallery bullseye shooting?

Explain the advantages or disavantages of using or not using a spotting scope for above.

Regards
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

The spotting scope is a large sword with two edges---so it can cut two ways. I find a spotting scope to be most useful for any slow fire stages whether standard pistol, bullseye & international CF. In the timed an rapid fire stages in all events it can be a hindrance, therefore I do not use the scope for either of the timed and or rapid events ( 10sec/20sec SP, Duello stage of CF). There are many shooters who do not use a spotting scope in any phases of a match---they know they called the shot and that's enough for them. For the beginning shooter it can help, but most often the less experienced shooter fires the shot and the bullet has hardly left the muzzle and their heads are in the scope---therefore no follow-through on the shot---merely the race to see the bullet cut paper--a STUPID WASTE OF TIME & AMMUNITION. If you pace yourself and follow through on your slow fire shots and then scope the target---that's not bad. Make the use of the scope as a self-coaching experience, shoot the shot---CALL THE SHOT---check the scope---if it's where you called it good---if not why was your call off---question yourself try to reason why the difference. OK that shot is down range and no longer in contention---go through your shot plan for the next shot---watch the front sight or the dot---try to call the shot again---go through the same commiseration session and MOVE ON. By using a decent shot plan (your ideas) and following a set procedure faithfully (skipping nothing) and concentrating on the dot or front sight---watch each time you send that bullet scurrying to the paper, follow through, call the shot---check the scope. After many years the scope will be used less and less as you become more confident of your ability to call each shot. Lots of words and advice here, but they are based on shooting and coaching for quite a few years. "Doc"
marvelshooter

Post by marvelshooter »

Only use your spotting scope to confirm that your zero hasn't changed and that your grip is right. If your first shot is on call cap your scope and concentrate on your next shot(s). This applies to 25 and 50 yards also. You also should not be scoping between strings of sustained fire. My two cents.
Dan
Mass Shooter

Post by Mass Shooter »

Excellent replys and confirms my thoughts as well.

An added scenario; Say you're on the 2nd stage of Rapid Fire and place what you think is (4) good shots then the fifth is a FTF, do you chance accpeting the score without confirming the hits or would you take a (4) shot alibi and risk a lower score or g-forbid another FTF happens.
What is the best call for this situation?

Keep the replys coming!!

I can also use to jettison some cargo from the range box too! :-)
marvelshooter

Post by marvelshooter »

I can't imagine a situation where it would be better to accept a 9 shot target over shooting an allowed re-fire. If you should happen to get a second FTF then you get a DSQ for the match unless you shoot in a league (South Shore Rifle and Pistol for example) that limits them in which case you are SOL if you have already used yours. Clear it if you can and keep shooting.
Dan
jackh

Post by jackh »

The spotting scope at any range is a TOOL. If you need it, use it. If you don't need it, do not use it. Only you can assess your need.
little_doodie

Post by little_doodie »

I use a spotting scope to verify zero only.
During training I use it to call my shots.
I really don't use it at all during a match except maybe the 1st few slow fire to check zero.
If you use it too much it will hurt more than help.
jackh

Post by jackh »

Mass Shooter wrote:Excellent replys and confirms my thoughts as well.

An added scenario; Say you're on the 2nd stage of Rapid Fire and place what you think is (4) good shots then the fifth is a FTF, do you chance accpeting the score without confirming the hits or would you take a (4) shot alibi and risk a lower score or g-forbid another FTF happens.
What is the best call for this situation?

Keep the replys coming!!

I can also use to jettison some cargo from the range box too! :-)
For your scenario, I never consider leaving points on the table. Three times in the last few years have I loaded more rounds in a refire string of rapid fire. (Successfully, I might add) Have another magazine ready to go if you can and be very good (and safe) with your manual of arms.
see rule 10.11 and maybe 14.10d.
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

The behavior that Bob describes is known as 'scope diving', and he's right, it can be a bad habit to develop.
Mass Shooter

Post by Mass Shooter »

Really appreciate all the great responses, it's the information I was looking after. .... I see so many shooters using all sorts of scopes from small to hubbel size at 50' and after each & every shot fired. I keep saying to myself "Why" ... If the need to check every shot is so critical than something else must be terribly wrong. .... I'm satisfied with the responses here and confirms my viewing with a plain ole set of binnoculars of which I use only periodically. ...Thanks all!

Think I'll save the sp. scope at the rifle range where I can make good use of it.
little_doodie

Post by little_doodie »

solomon grundy wrote:The behavior that Bob describes is known as 'scope diving', and he's right, it can be a bad habit to develop.
Like Solomon said: Scope diving is a bad habit.
I coach Junior rifle and when I see one of my juniors "scope diving" I will ask "did you see it hit?"
Then I will tell them about why its bad to do that.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

The biggest problems with the scopes for pistol shooting is the amount of room they take up in the pistol box. I had nothing but trouble with mine when I had a pistol box that opened sideways (A gun-ho) It was almost impossible for me to tighten the scope enough on the mount to prevent it from slipping and jamming the box shut, at which point I had to go in through the back door and strighten it to even get my pistol box open. I found out why most pistol shooters use as small and light a scope as possible in their boxes to get the job done. I have done fine with my current scope but changed my box for one that opens from the top. The scope does not have anything to catch on to jam up the box. When I was at Camp Perry with my old box, I only put the scope up for slow fire. I was spared the hassle of trying to get my scope up during what seemed to be the less than one minute prep before we started shooting from the short line. It saved me a great deal of hassle. Spotting scopes are nice for practice and zeroing especially if you are in the process of learning to call your shots. They have almost no use in sustained fire. Isabel