Negative thoughts :\

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

topshot11

Negative thoughts :\

Post by topshot11 »

I really have a problem at the moment where if i shoot a bad shot (9 or below) i beat myself up about it so much the rest of the card/match goes to pot. Any tips on overcoming it? ive tried not looking at my scope but then i cant alter sights etc if needed.
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

First, realize that the single "bad" shot isn't normally what keeps us from having a good day, even when we miss first place by a couple points. I've missed winning by Xs (Conventional Pistol) and one point more times than I'd like to remember and it wasn't that single 8 that did it. It was the combined score of all of the shots.

I do feel a disappoinment when a less than perfect shot occurs, but I'm not shooting perfect scores anyway. I have been able to turn a miss in the 51st record shot of Free Pistol into a win, by deciding that nine tens would score the same as ten nines. I did take a few minutes to work out the confidence and although they weren't all tens, I did produce enough to hang onto first place.

I have also done well by mentally scoping a "bad" shot as a good, but wide hit. Always hold an image of what you want in your mind. If possible, look at a good result before continuing. Never reinforce the image of the failed one. Have a "proud moment" shot displayed somewhere in view to refer to.

What I would recommend, is refrain from actively becoming excited over a less than perfect shot, because your subconscious only knows you are excited, not that it's unwanted in this case. Since your subconscious wants to help you be happy, it might just help you with more excitement.

Primarily, have a written shot plan in view that tells you the steps to a ten and review it. Then follow that plan and move on with the match.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Homepage
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things
Bowman26

Post by Bowman26 »

Don't sweat the "bad" shot or the next one will be that much harder to make a better shot with your subconcious mind still beating yourself up over an off shot.

Just shoot each shot as a single match within itself. Give each shot the full alotment of concentration and technique as though every shot you take will be a 10x.

Remember once you pull the trigger regardless of where the shot scores that shot is history and nothing you can do to get it back. After you take your shot just forget about it and move on to the next shot. Unless you hit the 10x then you want to remember that shot and repeat the exact same thing the next shot.

Dwelling on a bad shot will cost you more points and place you lower overall than just pretending it never happened and moving on to make the shot you envision.

I was told a story once about Lones Wigger shooting a smallbore silhouette match at a large match. He missed his very first shot and never even made a negative facial expression or spoken comment about it he just went on to the next shot as though he had made the 1st one. He then went on to clean the next 39 animals.

Bo
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

The best negative response to a shot less than a ten is to forget it imeadiately Lanny Basham was asked if he had ever shot a nine. He responded " I may have but I don't remember it." Good Shooting Bill Horton