Morini 162ei

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
tonymcg

Morini 162ei

Post by tonymcg »

I am looking to acquire either a Morini 162ei or an LP10 in the very near future. A few questions to those who own/owned or have used the Morini on a regular basis.

Yes I know different features appeal to different people and I will try before I buy but when people love a gun, well they love it and can still give an honest assessment of the gun's capabilities.

What are the pros and cons of the Morini?

What would you add to (or take away from it) to make the 162ei "perfect"?

If you have used both guns is the 162ei in the same league as the LP10?
Oz

Post by Oz »

162xx;
Pros: Electronic Trigger
Cons: Electronic Trigger

It all depends upon who you talk to. Comparing the LP10 and the 162xx is like comparing a Porsche and Ferrari.

Either pistol will win the top medal. But which one is right for YOU? Only YOU can find the answer. And you do this by getting to know the owners of each pistol and then trying both of them until you decide which one feels best for YOU.

Anyone who says that one is better than the other for one reason or another is only talking about their personal experience. Someone else will feel just as strongly the other way, based upon their personal experience.

Do the work, try both of them out, make your purchase and train with the confidence that you have the best pistol for you. Not the best pistol by general consensus.

Also, don't be so quick to discount some of the other manufacturers out there. It's possibly that another brand could very well be the pistol that allows you to shoot best.

Oz
tonymcg

Post by tonymcg »

Oz, thanks for that. All OK on the need to road-test each pistol. Also OK on the electronic trigger being a pro but specifically, why is it a con for you?
Rover

Post by Rover »

Just to mess with your head....

Jay Shi has a Morini, but he is taking his Pardini K58 to shoot for the National Championship at Fort Benning.

(My kinda guy!)
david alaways

Oz

Post by david alaways »

I still remember the look on Oz face when He held my gun for the first time( BIG SMILE ) after holding all the others. Then he said " maybe i wont buy a LP 10" But he did ! What do you expect from a guy from Utah ? By the way it was a Morini. ...... Personal opinion : I dont think I could have bought a better gun ! One just as good ? Maybe...David
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

I've never shot an LP10, however, I really love my Morini 162EI Short. With my big fingers I have one complaint---I would like to use pellets I could actually grab onto, like .38 or .45 instead of .177!
appletree

Post by appletree »

everyone can shoot well with morini but not everyone can shoot well with steyr lp10. Steyr grip diverent than morini. I have lp10 for 1 year 1 still study how to grip well. My hand medium but have long finger. Maybe i will need some modification for my grip but not in near time. I must make sure my grip is wrong or i didn't grip well. 1 shoot for 1 year my highest score is 575. I don't have coach just study my self. Thank God thereis a lot resources in internet :). My average is 560 up. I will mesh with my grip if my average score is 570.

back to decicion wich buy steyr or morini, my friend saw me shoot well with steyr then buy and used it. he usually shoot with fwb p40. Guest what he didn't meet his expectation. His score lower than he shoot with fwb. I think it just personal. When i made decision buy lp10 in my head just think this is beautiful airpistol i ever see. Just like how you choose your girlfriend (LOL). in my personal opinion Its'not like ferari or porche but i describe it as formula 1 (LP10) and ferrari(morini). everyone can who can drive a car can handle and drive fast with ferrari but only professional racer can handle formula one. But all premium airpistol are best. Personaly i would buy morini (manual) for my second airpistol. I don't trus electronic in firearm (LOL)
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

. When i made decision buy lp10 in my head just think this is beautiful airpistol i ever see. Just like how you choose your girlfriend (LOL). in my personal opinion Its'not like ferari or porche but i describe it as formula 1 (LP10) and ferrari(morini). everyone can who can drive a car can handle and drive fast with ferrari but only professional racer can handle formula one.
These have been my experiences with the two LP10's I have owned, as compared to Morini/FWB and others, which seemed more user friendly. It is definately not as forgiving as other AP's , but very satisfying when you get it right.
Last edited by deadeyedick on Thu May 21, 2009 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Oz

Post by Oz »

LOL... David's right. His 162xx fit my hand like a GLOVE! Loved it.

I say the 162xx's electronic trigger is both it's pro and con for a couple reasons. For those open to it and prepared for the different feel, it could be the best trigger available. For someone expecting the traditional feel of a two stage trigger, too stubborn to adapt, it might not be ideal. Again, something that can be determined by trying it before making a decision!

But the reason I went LP10 instead of 162xx could and should be considered weird by most. I used to work in custom electronics. One thing I learned is that eventually, all electronics stop working. Don't get me wrong, the 162 electronic trigger is a VERY reliable electronic device. Failure is almost non-existent and for any normal shooter, failure of this trigger should NOT be a concern.

I had actually put the concern behind me and was thinking about getting the 162 but then at a match a few months ago, I watched a top shooter, near the end of a great match suddenly off the line, walking around talking to everyone. I wrapped up, walked over to see what was going on... the trigger stopped working. Battery was the first thought. It was the older style which used the funky Euro battery... he borrowed someone else's 162 and tried that battery and it still didn't work. He wound up finishing the match with a different, borrowed pistol.

This is probably a 1/100,000 event. I've NEVER heard of this happening before. But it was a manifestation of my love/hate relationship with electronics. Also, one more thing I didn't want to have to concern myself with every time I shoot. So I decided to get a Rink grip for an LP10. Until the grip arrives, I'm in grip envy of the 162xx owners out there :)

Oz
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

appletree wrote:everyone can shoot well with morini but not everyone can shoot well with steyr lp10. <snip>
With respect that statement is both illogical and incorrect. The guns are different and some people prefer one over the other. And I know people who've swapped one for the other in both directions.

Just to confound the original poster, there is now the LP10E - i.e. with the new electronic trigger. I've only dry fired it but it felt interesting.

With regards grips, that's a red herring. You may be lucky to get a grip that fits you perfectly but it's unlikely. Most people end up shooting a gun with an imperfect grip because it can be a pain to modify them and a lot of people are too concerned with the aesthetics rather than with the grip fit and performance (IMHO).

Rob.
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

I have both. Have not yet decided which one I'm taking to Benning

if I can avoid flinching I feel no recoil at all on the LP10, it has some kinda mechanical compensator, on the morini I do feel a tiny recoil

LP10 grip feels better in my hand, and the sights are easier to adjust if you forget the screwdriver.

I've shot my personal best with the Morini, but due to other factors, like my practice schedule and distractions in the respective years I used each, that does not mean the Morini is better.

dry fire technique is totally different on each, once you cock the morini you have to shoot it, but you can dry fire it all day long without lifting your non-shooting hand due to the electronic trigger, the LP10, you cock the same for shot or dry, you put the level all the way down to shoot, part way down to dry.

Poole
Oz

Post by Oz »

Bill, great points on the dry-fire and recoil absorber. I feel the same way about the LP10 recoil and really like the feel (or lack thereof) when I can avoid flinching as the trigger is pulled. This was a mark in the plus column of the LP10 for me when I make my decision.

The LP10's dry-fire mechanism is simplistic brilliance. There have been several times in matches where I let a shot go that wasn't ideal and I load up the next shot, ready to shoot --angry. But once loaded, I've calmed down and realized that I should dry-fire a couple to re-center first, before sending another piece of lead down range. So I pop the lever up and dry-fire 2 or 3 shots. When ready to live-fire, I push the lever down and fire. That's flexibility I like.

Something I would LOVE to do with the electronic trigger... if I had one; I would make a tiny circuit board that would randomize a circuit/short-circuit to the 162xx solenoid. This would create a random 'dry-fire' and recreate the "ball and dummy" exercise.

Oz
tonymcg

Post by tonymcg »

Thanks for the input on the Morini (and the LP10 - maybe should not have mentioned that one). I had an LP10 a few years ago (sold it 2 years ago, left the sport due to work commitments and am now back and ready to shoot again). I found it a relatively forgiving gun compared to my then previous gun, a FWB C20. If you introduced the C20 to the target correctly; you were guaranteed a 10. If you slipped up, even the slightest, you were punished; severely. There is nothing worst in a match then to get a good string of 10s and then throw a 6. So I am familiar with the LP10 and especially liked the lack of recoil/muzzle lift. From comments provided already I'm assuming the Morini is not as good in this department. On a scale of 1 to 10 if the LP10 has a recoil/muzzle lift of 1 where would the Morini slot in? (1 being no recoil/lift and a 10 would be markedly noticeable)
Bobs my baker

EI

Post by Bobs my baker »

When I fire my EI. (Properly) I have NO recoil or jump . NONE! The only time that I see a recoil or Jump with my EI. is when I create it. If I squeeze the trigger properly and follow thru correctly there is NONE.(The shots a ten ) I was for awhile shooting 'high to the right 9s ' with what I was thinking was a recoil. Zurek corrected my follow thru with one statement " finish the shoot" . now thats in my shoot plan and I can go a week without shooting a "high to the right 9". INB.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Something I would LOVE to do with the electronic trigger... if I had one; I would make a tiny circuit board that would randomize a circuit/short-circuit to the 162xx solenoid. This would create a random 'dry-fire' and recreate the "ball and dummy" exercise.
Ha ha - I have this functionality on my Toz 35, totally random light strike by the firing pin on the cartridge. I think it is due to a weak firing pin spring, but it sure shows up any unintended movement when it happens during a match. Can be a bit frustrating though if you are running short of time or feeling pressured.

Mike
tonymcg

Post by tonymcg »

I am thinking of buying a second hand Rika system to practice at home with whichever pistol I end up buying. I know the LP50 gives a nice click when dry firing sufficient to trigger the Rika. A dumb question but seriously asked. What does the Morini electronic trigger give when fired in dry fire mode?
appletree

Post by appletree »

i have hear one of several reason people choose morini because they love morini pistol grip. the grip fit in palm. Personaly i have dificult grip properly on my LP10. so yesterday i decide put wood putty and made modify grip based on my medium grip. now i can grip properly my front sight will not shift left or right. Hope this could make me shoot up 580 (LOL)

i think steyr will shoot best if we attach custom grip. Almost professional shooter made thair custom grip that fit in their hand.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

tonymcg wrote:I am thinking of buying a second hand Rika system to practice at home with whichever pistol I end up buying. I know the LP50 gives a nice click when dry firing sufficient to trigger the Rika. A dumb question but seriously asked. What does the Morini electronic trigger give when fired in dry fire mode?
Tony, the Morini solenoid makes a click when dry fired. I used a Noptel in dry fire and it "heard" the shot at first, but in a later session it didn't. I don't know if Rika will hear it.
Ben
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

tonymcg wrote:I am thinking of buying a second hand Rika system to practice at home with whichever pistol I end up buying. I know the LP50 gives a nice click when dry firing sufficient to trigger the Rika. A dumb question but seriously asked. What does the Morini electronic trigger give when fired in dry fire mode?
All air guns should be able to function in dry fire mode with the electronic trainers. I really only know the scatt well, but it can cope well with the Steyr(s), morini's etc. The scatt can also be tuned so as to make it more sensitive and I'd be suprised if the other systems didn't function in the same manner.

Rob.
wkev

Post by wkev »

I have a Rika and a 162EI. The microphone sensitivity is adjustable and has no problem picking up the dry fire sound of the electronic trigger.

Kevin Walker